Thread: 357 Sig popularity

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Question 357 Sig popularity

One would think that the 357 Sig would be much more popular than it is. It seems to be hanging on but is way behind 9mm, 40S&W and 45 ACP.

125 grain bullet at 1350 FPS with a 13+1 mag capacity in a compact carry pistol like the G32 would seem to be very attractive yet it remains an also ran.

Why? Is it the ammo cost? Too much muzzle blast? Recoil?

I must confess that I've never shot this one... but it offers very a real ballistic advantage that you would think people would flock to.

I'm planning on getting a Lone Wolf G32 barrel for my G23 once I get back on my financial feet... I want the option of carrying this caliber.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

At issue is a 357mag or hot 9mm is very similar in performance, also the bottleneck is a reliability issue as to feeding and extraction. It is, however, a neat round that has served many police depts, I'd like one, in a similar vein I like the 38 super.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Hmm. I wouldn't think that the bottleneck would be a problem. I have a Yugo Tok that feeds just fine - same with all of the other 7.62x25's I've owned...

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

It just happens to be one of those cartridges that simply never caught on. It was adopted by a few police departments, but other than that, it never saw widespread use. 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP on the other hand, are all widely-adopted cartridges. People love using calibers that the police and military use. At least it it did better than the .45 GAP as far as sales and popularity.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

One of my guys has a Sig of some sort in .357 Sig and said it was just too snappy in recoil. He went back to a 40 S&W in the same or similar platform.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I like my G33. I can shoot it better than the G23. Only problem is finding ammo. Need to order it off the net mostly. Not very common to find locally, and when you do its pricey.

The Chinamarts around here usually have some. Snappy? I would expect so. lol