Thread: Me- 2, kid-0.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Me- 2, kid-0.

Ha ha, took the boy squirrel hunting today out at one of our local conservation areas. We walked in about two miles and got on top of one of the ridges amongst the oaks and hickory's. Kid was making too much noise and wasn't interested in setting still, so I sent him in one direction and I went in the other. We agreed to meet back at out parting spot in 90 minuets. I found a nice spot close to a couple of large oaks that had squirrel sign all over the place. I hunkered down just off the trail and waited maybe 15 minuets for the squirrels to calm down and forget I was there, then popped two of them in different trees about 30 minuets apart. If I had been more patient and wanted to I could have walked out of there with 8-10 squirrels pretty easily. It's a good spot for em.

Smart arse kid, who makes too much noise, got no squirrels, won't listen to reason, and claimed he saw no squirrels, tho I'm sure they saw and heard him.

On the way back to find the kid I noticed a dying bat on the trail.....

......and some poor bow hunter lost a broad point.

Returns June 3rd.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    As long as he had fun and wants to go back, this is just a taste of whats to come. I was the absolute worst brat in the world to have in a boat or in the woods when I was a munchkin. Grandpa didn't kill me so it seems like he knew what he was doing. Give it time and keep grinning, it will come.
    Last edited by old Grump; 10-22-2010 at 06:57 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    As long as he had fun and wants to go back, this is just a taste of whats to come. I was the absolute worst brat in the world to have in a boat or in the woods when I was a munchkin. Grandpa didn't kill me so it seems like he knew what he was doing. Give it time and keep grinning, it will come.
    Yeah, main things I was trying to point out to him was the different signs that squirrel either was, or should be there. Hickory and oak trees and of course acorns on the ground. Evidence of acorns being chewed on, leaf nests in the trees, smooth spots on trees around holes that show squirrels are using them, ect.

About the only thing I've not noticed on this piece of ground yet that would make it perfect is a couple mulberry trees, tho they may be there and there are several patches of blackberry.

Returns June 3rd.