Thread: M-14S

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question M-14S

While I was shopping for a Browning HP today I stopped in a new pawnshop the just opened right before Xmas. First thing I spotted was what looked like an M1A1 but when I saw the solid flash hider I knew it was a Chinese model. Don't recall the serial number but it is a Poly-Tech M-14S. It's got the flash hider without the slots in it. Bore looks good and l I have to say the stock is pretty nice.

I picked one of these up for something like $650.00 maybe 15 years ago and the stock was very dark and looked pretty crappy. I swapped it out for a fiberglass stock from Fred's. Anyway, this rifle looks to still be all Chinese with no U.S. Parts added. That could be good or bad. I've heard people say these had soft bolts so if this one is original that could mean the Chinese bolt is ok or it could mean it's not been fired enough for any issue with the bolt to make its appearance.

Traded mine off years ago for a CMP select grade M1 Garand and a Russian refurb SKS. I'm down to one CETME and a couple of bolt actions in 7.62x51 so I really don't want to have to start shopping for mags and ammo but when it comes to this caliber the M1A1 is my favorite platform. The shop wants $1,050.00 for the rifle and one 20rd mag. I know prices have gone up on everything but I don't know if this is a good price or not?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

bout $200 too high.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Lots of these in canada as we are still importing them. You are correct about the soft bolts. There is also an issue of the barrel being out of alignment on a lot of them here. Where the front sight is slightly cocked to one side. Requires a gunsmith to correct. In my opinion they are a $500 gun at best. I would ignore it.

Here is a listing for brand new ones for sale here in Canada. Remember the price is CDN dollars. You are buying the rarity of that gun because of the US import ban. In no way does that price reflect quality.

http://www.firearmsoutletcanada.com/...08-win-22.html
    Last edited by rci2950; 02-05-2017 at 07:38 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking more along the lines of $900 but evidently that's still high. I'll keep an eye on it and if the price starts dropping I'll show some interest.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell