Thread: October Rim Fire Challenge

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

October Rim Fire Challenge

No shooting going on by anybody? Come on folks, only a week left in October. Lets get those rimfires tuned up for squirrel stew.

Did a little shooting today with my oldest revolver, oldest rifle and my newest 22.

Beautiful day, sun was bright, temp was 66 degrees and the wind, well the wind not so nice, blowing from left to right about 17 mph. Still a great day to be outside not mowing or doing garden clean up but shooting instead.

H&R 922 9 shot revolver; first revolver I ever bought back in 1970 because people were breaking into our apartment and it was all I could afford. Shot a lot of freezers full of Jack Rabbits for a few years to feed my dogs with that little gun. 10 shots 15 yards.

Coast to Coast model 320 single shot bolt action made by Savage. Very first rifle I ever bought, first gun come to think of it, first thing I bought with my money after bootcamp back in 64. Still a favorite gun and after half a million rounds still shoots better than I do in spite of those simple notch and bead iron sights. 10 shots 25 yards.

Ruger well known story. A piece of crap when I bought it, wasted a lot of money on expensive ammo trying to make it shoot like a match rifle, redid the inside of the stock, changed the trigger and after 5 years of shooting all of a sudden it shoots anything I put in it like a champion. This Blazer ammo is the cheapest and lowest velocity stuff I have in the house other than the subsonic stuff but even in the wind it worked in these guns. I will never understand guns.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I will never understand guns.
    In that respect, Guns are like women.
    If you were meant to understand them, God would have made you one.
    "By oft repeating an untruth, men come to believe it themselves."
    Thomas Jefferson to John Melish, 1813

I bought a set of flip up targets and have been having fun teaching my little nephew (9 years old) to use the sites and be responsible. He can hit them 7 out of 10 shots at about 25 yards so am going to take him squirrel hunting this weekend. He is real excited and I'm looking forward to it aswell. It's been real dry here (Central Mississippi) for the past few months and the squirrels seem to be on the ground a lot since the acorns have been dropping.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I know what you mean about the cheap ammo shooting, the best stuff I've found so far in my savage is the federal lighting from wally world for $1.47 a box, short of finding a round that will put every bullet in the exact same hole I don't see how it could shoot better.

Sorry OG, I havent been able to go to the range for a while. Moose hunting season and all. Iv fired 3 shots with my Rem 375 H&H, but that was to kill moose. Going hunting again this weekend. Hunting ends on sunday, so I hope we get that last bull. Hopefully no one shoots a big one. Because that meat is supposed to be mine. I dont like old bull meat.

Oh, by the way. I dont have a rimfire handgun anymore. Got sick and tired of that Hammerli X-esse. Didnt fit me.... Think Ill buy an old Margolin or something. I like those old goofy looking irons. Shoots pretty straight too.