Thread: B24 Lib production and test flight

B24 Lib production and test flight

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iKlt6rNciTo?rel=0

If you like planes or are a ww2 buff this vid's for you.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

WOW did I hear that right? 1 build an hour? Incredible, Ford's insight. I only wish my wife was related to Henry instead of the Ford brothers who shot Jesse James. I eat that shit up. When I think about how many examples of these war instruments are left I get pissed off.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

55 minutes per plane with 1.2 million parts in it. Mind Blown!

It kinda scares me to think how all this infrastructure has been shipped overseas.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

My Favorite was the B-26 marauder ! But that was a light Bomber. The B-26 was a hands on Plane, You had to fight it the whole way, I doubt they could just leave one hand on the Wheel. the Most Powerful 2 Engine Bomber of the War. The 3 Great Bombers that won the War for us was the B-17, the B-24, the B-29, and the British Avro Lancaster Bombers. The Lancaster was the best the Brit's had.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Interesting. As far as building one every 55 minutes that doesn't mean it took 55 minutes from start to finish. Say it took 24 hours to build one running down the assembly line. Once you had 24 in the line you'd be completing one every 60 minutes but it actually took 24 hours to build.

They probably started with sub assemblies like the wings, fuselage, nose, tail, etc., and don't count the time it took to build those components just to attach them. Still pretty neat.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    It kinda scares me to think how all this infrastructure has been shipped overseas.
    Indeed, if WWIII came how fast could we tool up building specialized planes with specialized technolgy, let alone steels, aluminum and rare earth elements needed....

Some cool pics in glorious kodachrome;

June 1942 Tank training at Fort Knox
    http://mashable.com/2017/02/25/tank-...m-Tw-main-link