Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here eat Wild Boar meat? How is it?

Anyone here eat Wild Boar meat? How is it?

I'm thinking of actually going out and hunting boar. They're becoming a REAL PROBLEM in California (and many other states) and now the officials are loosening their hunting restrictions and are now encouraging us to take them out.

Anyone here boar hunt before? Tips?

Anyone here prepare or eat boar meat? Tips?

Thanks in advance.

I've had wild hog made into sausage from a Texas hog hunt. It was good.

If truly a wild boar, it will need to be heavily seasoned to cover the taste.

In my youth, I worked on a hog farm. The owner always told us that the older boars and sows were made into Pizza sausage because you couldn't stand to eat it unflavored.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

ive shot and eaten a wild boar before. it was good. but then, i like flavor, and not white washed drugged out cattle, so....

As with any meat there is a learning curve. What they gonna let you use 38grain plastic bullets at 400 fps that are frangible and you can only have 2 with another person carrying the second round?
    Just kidding. A whole lot of people hunt boar and like it. Just be careful they ARE dangerous animals and they can kill you.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Tank if you can let me know what you find out I don't think I'm all that far from you and I've been wanting to hunt boar for a long time.

I think whole state goes non lead next year

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Tank if you can let me know what you find out I don't think I'm all that far from you and I've been wanting to hunt boar for a long time.

I think whole state goes non lead next year

I was just talking with some gun buddies here and they all go to my old stomping grounds, Fort Hunter Liggett, CA. They have tons of forestland that no one uses and they allow hunting as long as you sign in at the front gate and list your weapons (any legally owned firearm is allowed, even .50 BMG but I wouldn't boar hunt with a Barrett M82A1). And you have to let them know where you are. Boars are Nocturnal so I'd be tempted to use some NVG rifle scopes (never used them before).

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Never hunted them but the same rules apply to the meat, well done cooked condition due to Trichinosis.

I read that most tags get filled in Mendocino and tehema counties.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

It ain't like the nice corn fed pig-meat you buy at the store.

Like most wild meat it has that nasty gamey taste.

Yeah I know you're not supposed to say it....but I hunt because I enjoy hunting not because I like the taste of wild game.

It's actually nasty and I give away most of it.......except duck and elk they're pretty good.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    It ain't like the nice corn fed pig-meat you buy at the store.

Like most wild meat it has that nasty gamey taste.

Yeah I know you're not supposed to say it....but I hunt because I enjoy hunting not because I like the taste of wild game.

It's actually nasty and I give away most of it.......except duck and elk they're pretty good.
    I've never killed and eaten one but I have heard the smaller ones, like 60-70lbs are better eating than the big monsters. Is this true in your experience or do they all taste bad?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

There's a famous German restaurant in Chicago that has it on the menu as a wild-game sausage plate, along with elk, duck & venison. I like it...it tastes like an earthy pork to me.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I've never killed and eaten one but I have heard the smaller ones, like 60-70lbs are better eating than the big monsters. Is this true in your experience or do they all taste bad?
    Yeah the smaller ones are usually somewhat better tasting. They're usually younger and like most animals the younger the better as far as the meat being tender and tasty.

My cousin got a smaller one and cooked it in a pit and that was actually pretty good. Not quite as tasty as farm raised but not bad.

Ideally you'd love to get some suckling piglets for eating but it's a lot more satisfying when you bring down one of those big ol' monsters on a hunt.

But yeah if you're harvesting meat to eat you're better off with one of the smaller youngsters.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Agree with weevil the smaller are the better. I do not know how big they grow in Cali.
    but in the South they get Huge!!http://georgiawildpigs.com/attachmen...FNR-16-23.pdf/

If you are interested this talks about boars and pop. and problems we encounter here.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

farmers in mountain areas of tennesse used to let hogs run wild. they had round ups and hunts. old timers told me that a lot of old hogs were really strong tasting. if you've ever handled a pig you know the smell.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Yes. Young sows are the best tasting. Larger ones and boars are for sausage. In Texas, its a common practice to trap them and then feed them out with corn for a few weeks.

Any deer cartridge is also a good hog cartridge. Most like to head shoot them to avoid ruining the meat - if possible. That calls for a scoped bolt gun or similar. Those wishing to take out a large number - pest control will use semi auto's including AR's. I prefer a larger caliber for that.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

FWIW, ARs are only good for head shots (if you want to find the meat), otherwise they just run 2-300 yards and die somewhere. I would use a 300 Blk. or 7.62x39.
    I used an AR with 60 gr soft points (not good for hogs).

This is some hog huntin;
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I'm looking at some of the youtube videos on BOAR ATTACKS on hunters and I'm going "hmmmmm, rather than a bolt action, I'm going for a Ruger Mini-30"......

Hey I wasn't joking with you when I said they can kill you. They can be very very dangerous.

be the heat..

Yeah did you notice the guy didn't go look for a while(never did in the vid) and he also had a wooden barricade
    up to his waist?

be the heat..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast