Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gerald Celente and his predictions for 2012. (food riots, ect)

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I'm not trying to argue against his predictions or damn with faint praise.
    It is his average that catches the attention.

I'm just saying that I think he's right from the logical point of things and that most people can tell things aren't going swimingly...
    Here, I hope you are correct; yet, 0bama's cheering crowds show what we'd like to believe has a good sized margin for error.. lol

I sure hope that he's wrong about food riots in 2012 though - think of the implications of food riots... people starving...
    I hope he is wrong also.

I have thought of the implications of food riots and same as anyone with common sense I dislike the mental picture. IF food riots would occur it would be bad in the cities and suburbs. As there isn't enough manpower to handle huge riots; it would be hell.

swampdragon
    "Now" would be a good time to get a garden started for those that don't already have one.
    And start learning how to can and preserve like grandma used to do.
    You'd be surprised how many people no longer even know how to do it at all.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    "Now" would be a good time to get a garden started for those that don't already have one.
    And start learning how to can and preserve like grandma used to do.
    You'd be surprised how many people no longer even know how to do it at all.
    Uh, Spring would be far better.
    Returns June 3rd.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Uh, Spring would be far better.
    Uh...no.
    Right now is a great time to start prepping the soil, adding mulch, nutrients, etc before winter hits.

I've been reading up on this stuff for years. Ironically, there is always a part of you waiting for it to happen, but at the sametime, you hope it doesn't.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochmeister View Post
    I've been reading up on this stuff for years. Ironically, there is always a part of you waiting for it to happen, but at the sametime, you hope it doesn't.
    The human brain is funny.
    We don't want bad things to happen.
    Yet...we don't want to think of all the time and money wasted on something that never comes to pass either.

Uh...no.
    Right now is a great time to start prepping the soil, adding mulch, nutrients, etc before winter hits.
    That is building the soil to yield great harvests..

Quote Originally Posted by Hochmeister View Post
    I did a few tours in Vn; long term exposure to such things suck even with a base camp. So living the nomadic guerrilla lifestyle for a few years wouldn't be all it was built up to be in Red Dawn.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    That is building the soil to yield great harvests..
    Yep.
    Just like any other task, the better you initially prep for it, the better your chances for success.

Uh...no.
    Sure, I was joking. Having grown up on a farm and being a gardener for fun since, I'm aware of how to garden. I'm a member of our local Master Gardener org through the MU extension

Anyone who doesn't garden now and intends to feed themselves, had best get on the stick, because figuring out how to bring produce in and then store it successfully requires a bit of knowledge.
    Returns June 3rd.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Sure, I was joking. Having grown up on a farm and being a gardener for fun since, I'm aware of how to garden. I'm a member of our local Master Gardener org through the MU extension

Anyone who doesn't garden now and intends to feed themselves, had best get on the stick, because figuring out how to bring produce in and then store it successfully requires a bit of knowledge.
    I heard you were a member of your local Master Bater org....

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'm being realistic and storing up enough food to give us quite a while to figure out the garden. We put one in this past summer and only had limited success - the tomatoes got too hot and the cucumbers really freaked out - got ribbed and white - I think both were negatively effected by the too much rain that we had...

The peppers, zucs and okra all did swimingly.

We need to increase the size and maybe raise it a bit to encourage more drainage...

I also still need to locate some 1 1/2" water pipe for the driven point well. Nobody has this = need to braoden my search...

As to the food riots - and the conditions under which that would happen - my biggest concern would be defending our home - I'd hope that the community would pull together and form a common defense for the city/county. I would actively pursue that.

I've thought of starting that right now but I'm afraid that people just aren't ready for that and will just think I'm a fruit loop.

Let's face it. Most people are blistfully ignorant or just ignorant. They won't "get it" until "it" is staring them in the face.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

OSOK,

I read the writing on the wall a long time ago... I conceded to moving back to my wife's hometown to raise kids in a rural setting... that was only PART of my reasoning, the other half was to get away from city folk when the S does HTF.

True, I too hope that if the SHTF that out local community would form some semblance of a militia (probably headed by the local sheriff and chief of police who are pretty good guys)... just like Jericho, their biggest problem will be keeping control over every redneck with an AR15 who wants to "help" or stand duty at the county line...

When IT goes down, I've got two brother-in-laws who would likely move in to my house (since I have the biggest house) and we'd take turns on watch, pool our resources (I got the house and all the gear, but I can't hunt worth crap, they can)... also, all the women in our family know how to handle firearms too (Including my 3 year old daughter)

------------

So, if this guys predictions come true... even if it is 2015... people stop coming to the dentist and I have no means of income the SAME as everybody else... I stop paying my mortgage cuz I don't have money/income to pay in the first place... who's gonna go around evicting all these people making them homeless? It doesn't matter whether your house is $100,000 or $600,000.... no one is going to be buying homes at that point in time, you think the military is going to go around saying "get out"? I doubt it...

What happened in the great depression? IIRC, the bank just let the folks stay where they were because they had no buyers for the houses anyways... right?

----------------

The food shortage though... that's a scary prediction... it would only take a few months for all the small game to be scarfed up by all the locals here with a .22LR to catch... We've got a local apple orchard here kinda reminds me of the guy who had to feed the town in Jericho with his corn farm.

I heard you were a member of your local Master Bater org....
    Returns June 3rd.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Good thread!! Celente has a pretty good track record over the years. That said, we must prepare ourselves for the worst and hope for the best. I don't have any idea how they can stop the downward spiral in a relatively short time. Let's remember that the rest of the world is in the same predicament, so there's really nowhere to turn for assistance. Kinda scary!!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by az_paul View Post
    Good thread!! Celente has a pretty good track record over the years. That said, we must prepare ourselves for the worst and hope for the best. I don't have any idea how they can stop the downward spiral in a relatively short time. Let's remember that the rest of the world is in the same predicament, so there's really nowhere to turn for assistance. Kinda scary!!
    I'm personally hoping he is wrong as fuck.
    But...his odds are damned good.
    If I'm going to make plans however, it will be plans to "not" need assistance if possible.
    Yet, like they say, no man is an island.
    Maybe I can at least be a peninsula.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Unless you were/are in the sticks right now - it is hard to just turn on a dime and make it happen. I have one more kid at home and he's making straight A's and will most likely be the class valedictorian. I can't bring myself to frick that up for him - so, that rules out a move away from this school district/town. We could move out to the country again but would need to sell our current home - and the real estate market is not exactly thriving.

So, I'm trying to make the most of the location and situation - which isn't horrible as it is a small town - which would be my second choice to being in the country.

Third choice would be bigger town, fourth suburb and last would be urban.

We also have living in Texas going for us - I do believe in the "Texas spirit" for lack of a better term - we are can-do and pull-together type people here.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

swampdragon
    Unless you were/are in the sticks right now - it is hard to just turn on a dime and make it happen. I have one more kid at home and he's making straight A's and will most likely be the class valedictorian. I can't bring myself to frick that up for him - so, that rules out a move away from this school district/town. We could move out to the country again but would need to sell our current home - and the real estate market is not exactly thriving.

So, I'm trying to make the most of the location and situation - which isn't horrible as it is a small town - which would be my second choice to being in the country.

Third choice would be bigger town, fourth suburb and last would be urban.

We also have living in Texas going for us - I do believe in the "Texas spirit" for lack of a better term - we are can-do and pull-together type people here.
    I don't live in the city any more.
    I live in ranch and farm country on 30 acres.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I don't live in the city any more.
    I live in ranch and farm country on 30 acres.

Envious every time I see u'r setup swampy. I'm hoping to get something like that in the somewhat near future (10 yrs or less).....but of course all bets off if society collapses. Enough room to set up your own range?
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

When there isn't any food, those spirits often change into a "me and mine" survival mode. My hope is people would do as you said; yet, I also know better than to expect it when people are panicked and starving.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast