Thread: Chuck Berry Dead At 90

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Unhappy Chuck Berry Dead At 90

RIP Chuck Berry, the true KING of Rock & Roll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/a...dead.html?_r=0
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

The Nuge did a great tribute on fb.
    Last edited by Altarboy; 03-19-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The man did know his music. No one can argue that. RIP Chuck.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    The Nuge did a great tribute on fb.
    Just about every real R&R guitar player from the late 50's on...copped licks from Mr Berry. Nice.

CB along with another early master of R&R, Bo Diddly:

Ted's version is fast and furious - but IMHO it sucks. I always liked the Peter Tosh version of Johnny B. Goode. Music is about creating a feeling not demonstrating how fast you can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8WR...=RDq8WRzdN43BI

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Ted's version is fast and furious - but IMHO it sucks. I always liked the Peter Tosh version of Johnny B. Goode. Music is about creating a feeling not demonstrating how fast you can play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8WR...=RDq8WRzdN43BI
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but your observation is exactly why rap "music" (and I use "music" very loosely here) is not a good influence on anyone who listens to it. It creates nothing but a feelings of hatred, violence against authority, and a rape culture against women.

I, seriously, doubt these music greats, who've passed away in the last few years, thought much of it in terms of it being anything but pure trash.

That's part of the reason these guys will be missed. They created great music and it doesn't look like there are too many of them left to create great music in the future.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

His music was very good. RIP Chuck Berry.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

If anyone had asked me 30 years ago if he would make to 90, I would have laughed. He just did not look healthy.

RIP to a legend.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    If anyone had asked me 30 years ago if he would make to 90, I would have laughed. He just did not look healthy.

RIP to a legend.
    I read his autobiography a number of years ago. If I remember, he didn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. The cover of the book was a picture of him holding his Gibson with his shirt off & he looked in incredible shape.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but your observation is exactly why rap "music" (and I use "music" very loosely here) is not a good influence on anyone who listens to it. It creates nothing but a feelings of hatred, violence against authority, and a rape culture against women.

I, seriously, doubt these music greats, who've passed away in the last few years, thought much of it in terms of it being anything but pure trash.

That's part of the reason these guys will be missed. They created great music and it doesn't look like there are too many of them left to create great music in the future.
    i don't want to hijack the thread either, but I have to make one observation about rap since it was mentioned. My observation is that during the golden age of advertising it was discovered that when lyrics were combined with a simplistic repetitive musical phrase, critical thinking would be bypassed and the person would be brainwashed to buy a product. Thus the advertising jingle was born. The repetitive phrase of the jingle is the concept behind the Hip Hop musical "hook" which acts to brainwash the listener with the message of the lyrics. The hook ensures that individuals who are not exactly mental giants can remember every lyric in a rap song -- but if (say in school) you asked them to memorize a short Langston Hughes poem it would be a hopeless task.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLjYflvXYIM
    Last edited by jet3534; 03-20-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I read his autobiography a number of years ago. If I remember, he didn't smoke, drink, or do drugs. The cover of the book was a picture of him holding his Gibson with his shirt off & he looked in incredible shape.
    Seen him in the St. Louis airport a few times and one thing he clearly liked was young white women who dressed like prostitutes.