Thread: Wanting a wheel gun

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Wanting a wheel gun

Bought my girlfriend a smith 442 air weight in 38 spl, a few weeks ago for her bedside and eventual ccw piece. Now I'm wanting a revolver for me, I own a few already, but nothing I really love. A few antique hand me downs, and then a beretta single action stampede in 44-40, and two Taurus revolvers, a 357 snub and a 6" 454 casull, raging bull.

I am looking at a either a 4" smith in 44mag, a 4-5" 7-8 shot smith in 357, also taking a look at a Chiappa rhino in 357. The rhino just kind of interested me after seeing a piece on it by jerry miculek.

This will be a range gun, but also might see some duty as a bear/cougar/moose/asshole gun on hikes and camping in the east/northeast. The one thing that turns me off on the 44 is having shot the 454 the recoil is unpleasant after 7-8 rounds not sure how close they are in that department. Also the rounds are more expensive, I do reload now though. But I worry the 357 will not be enough for larger animals, but I think some hard cast ammo might fix that.

The Chiappa seems to have good reviews, and I do like the low barrel design for less muzzle flip and quicker follow up shots, a few competition shooters have even said they would switch to it if it came in an eight round capacity. But they are pretty ugly, and holster selection is limited.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

When it comes to revolvers it's hard to beat the older S&W and Colt pistols imho. Things of beauty and functionality. I've owned both in .357 Magnum & wish I still had them.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

I'm not an expert, but here are my favorite wheelguns. The smiths would all be pre lock.

1. Colt Python.
    2. S&W model 29.
    3. S&W model 66.
    4. S&W model 19.
    5. Colt Trooper.
    6. Ruger Security Six.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I'm not an expert, but here are my favorite wheelguns. The smiths would all be pre lock.

1. Colt Python.
    2. S&W model 29.
    3. S&W model 66.
    4. S&W model 19.
    5. Colt Trooper.
    6. Ruger Security Six.
    Great list. I take it you've shot all of those. I can't argue with a good list like that

I have a model 27 in .357 mag and it is great. It is current production so it has the lock. It doesn't bother me so far.

I want a 586 4" bad. That will probably be my next.

The only large caliber revolver I own is a Ruger GP-100 in .357 with a 4" barrel. The 6" version was uncomfortably nose heavy but the 4" has better balance. I'm not having to "hold it up" like I did with the 6".

A relative also has a Ruger SP 101 in a 5-shot .38 Special with a 2.5" barrel. It is strictly a home defense gun for this relative as they can no longer pull the slide on a SA pistol.

As for ammo for "dangerous game", the .357 handles 158 grain loads quite well. They come in JHPs for "2-legged varmints", JFP (jacketed flat points) or FMJ for bigger varmints. The FMJs probably stand the best chance of deep penetration and broken bones IF well aimed but have been known to ricochet off some bones if the angles are too shallow. the JFPs will, with their softer noses, not penetrate as well but are less likely to bounce off large bones.

While the .44 Magnum would be a better choice for large dangerous game, if you have a problem with the recoil then a .357 is worth investigating.

Good luck!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

If you have a Marine Corps Exchange near by you might be able to get a real good deal on a S&W 686. If you don't have a NEX Star Card you can sometimes get an extra 10% off your first purchase when you apply for one. I used this to get a 686 with a 6" barrel for about $160 off what it was going for out is town and I didn't have to pay tax. The Army and Air Force Exchanges also sell firearms, but I have found their prices to be higher. For some reason the NEX does not seem to sell firearms at all. The Marine Corps Exchange will also order in firearms that they do not have.

Good luck!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    If you have a Marine Corps Exchange near by you might be able to get a real good deal on a S&W 686. If you don't have a NEX Star Card you can sometimes get an extra 10% off your first purchase when you apply for one. I used this to get a 686 with a 6" barrel for about $160 off what it was going for out is town and I didn't have to pay tax. The Army and Air Force Exchanges also sell firearms, but I have found their prices to be higher. For some reason the NEX does not seem to sell firearms at all. The Marine Corps Exchange will also order in firearms that they do not have.

Good luck!
    I will check that out today or tomorrow, there is a marine corps exchange over by Norfolk.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Based on your stated criteria I would consider the following:

S&W Model 69
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-69

S&W Model 686 +
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...model-686-plus
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Went to the marine corp exchange, they had a ruger red hawk in 44mag with a 4.2" barrel, they wanted $875. Went to the place that transferred my suppressors to me. They had the same gun, with a $899 price tag, I asked the guy to see it, as he pulled it out he said he would sell it for $700, said no one is buying wheel guns anymore. So I bought it.

The marine corp exchange had some great prices on sig pistols and they had a beretta shotgun I have been eyeing for a great price, so will definitely go back there, but $350 under Msrp is hard to beat.

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, plus it is rated for buffalo bores 44mag +p+ rounds which smiths are not.

Hopefully will get a chance to shoot it in the next couple days.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post
    Went to the marine corp exchange, they had a ruger red hawk in 44mag with a 4.2" barrel, they wanted $875. Went to the place that transferred my suppressors to me. They had the same gun, with a $899 price tag, I asked the guy to see it, as he pulled it out he said he would sell it for $700, said no one is buying wheel guns anymore. So I bought it.

The marine corp exchange had some great prices on sig pistols and they had a beretta shotgun I have been eyeing for a great price, so will definitely go back there, but $350 under Msrp is hard to beat.

Pretty much exactly what I was looking for, plus it is rated for buffalo bores 44mag +p+ rounds which smiths are not.

Where did you hear about S&W not being rated for the Buffalo Bore loads? I've not heard that before nor have I seen it on the S&W site?

Disregard. I found it. Buffal Bore is stating it not S&W.
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=54
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-03-2017 at 09:04 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hatedbysheeple View Post

Congrats on the .44 mag Ruger. It will be big on recoil but not 454 Casual kind of big. I was going to suggest .41 magnum but now that you have scored the .44, a moot point.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Classic Ruger favorite:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/70243

I think is too cool:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2+5+rounds+STS

You can run 2100 psi loads out of this = 250 Keith hard cast bullets at 1200 fps. But really, 1050 fps with same bullet is enough for black bears and easy to shoot well.

This is just... well I'm sure it's a hand full to shoot but how cool can you get?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...s_id/718002665
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    Great list. I take it you've shot all of those. I can't argue with a good list like that
    I've owned all of these except the Python. That I have only shot and lusted for.