Thread: milspec surplus smoke grenades?

bobski

milspec surplus smoke grenades?

can they be purchased by the public? just curious, if so, where? and what does a genuine usgi smoke grenade cost?

while we are on the subject, can diver recall devices be purchased as well?

thanks.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Diver recalls are cardboard flash bangs, we (Navy EOD and divers) no longer use them and use electronic recalls instead as they are less hassle. I don't think we can have them here, they are common in Australia though.

Smoke grenades I have seen occasionally but usually are pricey, also they are a fire hazard, if you set it off in a house or car you will probably burn down said house or car. You will probably have better luck with airsoft and paintball smoke grenades, they are a lot cheaper, put out thick big smoke and can be ordered online.
    Initial Success or Total Failure

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

yes and no. technically, they are not illegal, but the atf now says they are. the issue is the fuse (m209?) which contains a certain compound that the atf deems a restricted explosive. this chemical has always been a restricted explosive, but the small amount in a fuse is under the threshold to make it "illegal", however, the atf decided that they dont want you to have them, so they pressured the companies that produce them that if they sold to the public they were going to have an atf issue, like all good illegal organizations extort.

so that is my understanding of the situation. no, not illegal to buy or own, no one will sell them to you because they dont want to get swatted by atf at 3 in the am. i do see them very infrequently. they used to be $40-60 each, but with the current situation, the price may be much higher.

im not a lawyer so take with a grain of salt.

You can find them on gun broker every once in a while from affordable meaning about $79 each very unaffordable of over 120.

BISHOP