Thread: Wonder how I can measure my night vision?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Wonder how I can measure my night vision?

I have occasionally wondered how good my night vision is as compared to other people. I don't rhink it is especially bad, but I sometimes struggle driving at night in the rain.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    A couple of years ago I had my eyes tested and part of the tests run was for night vision. You might check with your optometrist the next time you have your normal eye exam.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I have occasionally wondered how good my night vision is as compared to other people. I don't rhink it is especially bad, but I sometimes struggle driving at night in the rain.
    Today's roads aren't like they used to be. MD has stopped lining the dividing lines with glass beads, which are a great help with driving at night in the rain. As it is now, you're pretty damned lucky to be able to stay on the road, let alone in the correct lane after dark.

As far as testing your night vision, go coon hunting at night and don't take a light. If you come back with any coons, your night vision is near perfect.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

If you go coon hunting @ night around where I live & come back home with some....you're probably going to have issues.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post

Are you talking about light sensitivity (as in "dark" is too dark to see) or do you have "fogginess" or "halos" around bright objects at night?

If you are 50+, you could have incipient senile cataracts. When they get so bad that you have trouble seeing, there is a surgical procedure where the inner "goo" part of the lens is removed and a plastic lens inserted in it's place.

If this is done, your eye(s) no longer focus automatically, but with progressive bifocal lenses, you can focus your vision simply by looking a bit up or down and it soon becomes normal and you see better than before.

My wife had her cataracts removed and she can see fine... reading, driving, everything.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    As far as testing your night vision, go coon hunting at night and don't take a light. If you come back with any coons, your night vision is near perfect.
    No fair cheating by hunting in Chicago though......
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Take cod liver oil. Helps your night vision.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Lots of good advice. Thanks guys.