Thread: Savage 111 FCXP3 bolt problem

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Savage 111 FCXP3 bolt problem

So i lucked into a malfunctioning rifle from the local surplus store. I was in the right place at the right time. It was intended to go back to the manufacturer 9 years ago. It still had the tags hanging from the trigger guard (i ripped them off last night) The shop changed hands since then and the paperwork was lost for the rifle yadda yadda. I got it for a song to repair myself. The rifle is new unfired in the box. It is chambered in 7mm Rem Magnum. The problem pen written on the box was broken bolt. The issue it is having seems to be because of the bolt handle. It seems too thick. the bottom part of the bolt handle was catching on the receiver when closing. So i took the handle off and put the bolt in and it closes and opens properly using my finger tips to rotate it into battery. I took a file and removed a bit of material on the bottom of the bolt handle where it was catching. So then it would go in all the way but not turn down. So i discovered it was catching just forward of the handle on the edge of the receiver. So i filed a bit from there. bam. Bolt closes and opens nicely. so i pop the rear baffle back on and it wont close again. Almost like the baffle is too thick. But I am thinking the entire bolt handle is either the wrong one or it is defective. HAs anyone run into this before? I checked pictures online and it looks 100% like the correct bolt handle. Nothing i have looks like incorrect parts. Should i continue to shape this bolt handle until it works? AM i doing something unsafe? As far as i can tell the handle itself has nothing to do with the safe operation of the rifle.... Correct me if i am wrong.

Here are pics of the disassembled bolt.

This is the length of the bolt body

I measured inside the two points from here

Here is the thickness of the bolt handle. I have removed a bit of material so this is thinner then original.

Measured from this spot

If anyone could confirm these measurements for me. It would help rule out having the wrong bolt.

Thanks a lot

Adam
    Last edited by rci2950; 04-06-2017 at 01:53 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Don't know what the big differences in models other than my 110 FXP3 is 30-06 but the bolt handle width where you measured is 0.50 on mine.

A guy on facebook measured his parts as well and they are all bigger then mine. But different then yours. He is looking for his old bolt body for me to try swapping with mine. I think my bolt is too short overall. I now need to find a belted magnum no go gauge. Thanks for your measurements. If you don't mind could you measure the overall length of the bot body? Just the tube. You don't have to take the head off. Just the handle. If you can it would help confirm my predicament. Yours is a long action as well same as my 7mm. So bolt overall lengths would be similar.

I am wondering if you have an after market bolt. Mine has Savage laser marked, or etched, not sure, but it is on the bolt in very expensive looking lettering. Rough measured at 6.1" so it looks like you might be right, your bolt is too short by a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    I am wondering if you have an after market bolt. Mine has Savage laser marked, or etched, not sure, but it is on the bolt in very expensive looking lettering. Rough measured at 6.1" so it looks like you might be right, your bolt is too short by a bit.
    yes mine is marked savage as well. It is just on the other side. I am going to have to scan around for a bolt body. That is a big difference in length.

Brings up the question, why is your bolt a shorter and just short enough to not function correctly?

I think a customer pulled a fast one. Needed parts for something... The replacement bolt body should be arriving today or tomorrow. I got my fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed for you too, good luck.

It worked. Im so happy i could just shit. now to go to my LGS to borrow their no go gauge to make sure she is good there..

The bolt body and handle are second hand used but the rest of the parts are what came in it. I was struggling because only one hand and oily...

Congrats! Hopefully after verifying headspace you will have a fully functioning, really nice rifle!

The latest update. The rifle is all set up and ready to be sighted in.

I put a Cheap Bushnell on it. I have used lots of them in the past and for what i will be using this rifle for, It more then suits my needs

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Wink

Is that you in the pic? For some reason I always thought you were much older......
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

That's my son getting in there for the pic. he is 3 and loves guns already.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

He's a good-looking young man, congrats.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Thanks,