Thread: US drops the mother of all bombs in Afghanistan

US drops the mother of all bombs in Afghanistan

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/04...et-killed.html

The U.S. military dropped its largest non-nuclear bomb on an ISIS tunnel complex in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday, a U.S. defense official confirmed to Fox News.

The GBU-43B, a 21,000-pound conventional bomb, was deployed in Nangarhar Province.

I'm very proud of President Trump for taking the gloves off, and unleashing the full weight of US military might on ISIS. Sean Spicer stated that General John Nicholson had the authority to use this weapon, and that it was his choice. It's hard for me to believe that President Trump wasn't involved in authorizing this strike though.

Last edited by Justin; 04-13-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    It's hard for me to believe that President Trump wasn't involved in authorizing this strike though.

Pres. Trump probably gave the General an order to "get it done" and he's getting it done.

A good CIC won't micromanage his people... he'll tell them the objective and rest assured that it will be completed.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Pres. Trump probably gave the General an order to "get it done" and he's getting it done.

A good CIC won't micromanage his people... he'll tell them the objective and rest assured that it will be completed.
    That sounds right to me, I don't think this bombing would have ever happened under the Obama Administration or Hillary.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Someone on another board said a MOAB costs more than those 60 Tomahawks. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Someone on another board said a MOAB costs more than those 60 Tomahawks. Is that true?

Google says:

MOAB: $16 million
    Tomahawk: $1.875 million

Therefore: 1 MOAB costs 8.53 Tomahawks.

Some whiners are saying $314 million, but that was the DEVELOPMENT COST, not the per-bomb cost.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Here's a video that shows the MOAB in action. God bless President Trump for letting our military take out the trash. 'Murica!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    That sounds right to me, I don't think this bombing would have ever happened under the Obama Administration or Hillary.
    As I was passing by a room in the rehab center (my wife's exercising her new knee....), I saw a news report that claimed obama had moved the this bomb closer to Afghanistan months before Trump took office.

The media is trying to claim obama had set all this up.... Yeah, right.....

Fake news at its finest.

(They're watching the US get stronger and better and, now, they're trying to show all this improvement is a result of what obama did BEFORE Trump took over....)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    As I was passing by a room in the rehab center (my wife's exercising her new knee....), I saw a news report that claimed obama had moved the this bomb closer to Afghanistan months before Trump took office.

The media is trying to claim obama had set all this up.... Yeah, right.....

Fake news at its finest.

(They're watching the US get stronger and better and, now, they're trying to show all this improvement is a result of what obama did BEFORE Trump took over....)
    The bomb may very well have already been in Afghanistan during Obama's tenure, but I highly doubt he would have authorized it's use. He'd be afraid of there being too many civilian casualties.

Initial reports are suggesting that over 100 ISIS fighters were killed in the MOAB strike. May these animals burn in hell; God bless President Trump!

http://ijr.com/2017/04/847666-first-...isis-fighters/

On Thursday, President Donald Trump authorized the U.S. military to drop a 21,000-pound bomb on ISIS in Nangarhar Province in Afghanistan.

There are currently no reports from the Department of Defense regarding casualties or damage. But Independent Journal Review spoke to Ahmad Wali Sarhadi, a freelance journalist based out of Kandahar, Afghanistan.

Sarhadi gave us a report from the local officials in Nangarhar:

"Yeah, I am on the line with local officials of Nangarhar. They say a big complex of ISIS has been destroyed by the dropping of the bomb from the U.S.!

ISIS's biggest complex in Afghanistan is destroyed. They say more than 100 ISIS members are killed. The casualties may get higher."

Sarhadi also noted that while there are no official reports on civilian casualties yet, an official has said that they're still possible.

Now they're saying only 36 were killed in this strike. It's still a pretty satisfying number for me though.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.c98299cf06e4

KABUL — As many as three dozen militants with the radical Islamic State group were killed when U.S. forces dropped a 22,000-pound bomb on their hideout in eastern Afghanistan, defense ministry officials said Friday.

Also, here's the actual footage of the strike.

Last edited by Justin; 04-14-2017 at 07:00 AM.

go back to daisy cutters like they used the first weekend back in '01 .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    go back to daisy cutters like they used the first weekend back in '01 .
    Not sure if that has the same effect on tunnels but defiantly a LOT cheaper 15000lb device vs The cost of an MOAB

I wonder which one is more powerful, the MOAB or the Grand Slam. I wish someone would do a scientific analysis of the capabilities of both bombs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43...ance_Air_Blast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Slam_(bomb)

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Got a chance to see the green monster in the first video up close and personal while visiting my seemingly forever not-yet-son-in-law while he was stationed at Hurlburt Field, part of the Destin complex. I wish I got a photo of myself next to it to give an idea on how HUGE it is.

H6, it's real name is super long and almost unpronouncible.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!