Thread: Springfield XDm - Your Experiences

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Springfield XDm - Your Experiences

I've been looking at the Springfield XDm pistol and like what I see. The .45 ACP version really has my attention. Does the XDm have any serious advantages over any of the other polymer pistols out there today? Please let me know your experiences, good or bad, with the XDm model.

Thanks, Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Couple of guys that go to my local range's 3-gun shoots love theirs...not sure what caliber tho, for sure one is 9mm. Besides having a "match" barrel and higher capacity than original XDs, it's up to you if extra cost is worth it. Half tempted to trade in my 4" xd9 for xdm, but since I've already got a couple extra mags for it, I've held off since xdm uses different and more expensive mags.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Silver 02/2014

Steve, I shot one over at the range several months ago, I was quiet pleased with it. Several people I know use them for carry guns....they love em!
    Dan

A friend has the XD45, he likes it alot but recently has been buying Glocks.

XD is the next best thing to a Glock...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Steve, I have an subcompact XD-9 that I carry all the time. Great pistol. There were some grumblings from a few on the old GunsNet awhile back about the roll pin breaking after several thousand rounds. I have not had that problem whether the grumblings were founded or not.
    "Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...
    Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number,
    its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Iron Maiden

ADMIN | LOGIC POLICE RJ Shooter's Avatar

I shot an XD SubCompact 9mm for a while in IDPA competitions, and I loved the trigger pull. The problem I had was the high centerline axis of the bore. This meant the sights were really high compared to other handguns I own and have fired, and a little more muzzle flip due to the higher barrel. I also had two occurrences of FTF during matches. This forced me to use clearing procedures (this is good practice in high stress situations though) to make the gun work again. Although this was simply an issue of making sure all rounds are seated to the rear of the magazine, it made me afraid to rely on the gun for anything other than the range.

The Handguns Magazine's TV Show on the Outdoor Channel had a nice torture test for the XDm, and it did quite well over the 7 weeks I watched. I was impressed! But the high bore axis is still an issue of my personal preference.

There have been some issues with the gun firing out of battery, and quick search found this... LINKY

I have since switched to a S&W M&P 9mm for IDPA (4lb trigger sear and fiber-optic front sight), and haven't looked back...
    Last edited by RJ Shooter; 07-19-2010 at 10:52 AM.