Thread: 870 Mag Tube Extension

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question 870 Mag Tube Extension

I've got an 870 Wingmaster and an extra 18"bbl. Who makes a reliable and easy to install 2 or 3 rd mag extension? TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I've got an 870 Wingmaster and an extra 18"bbl. Who makes a reliable and easy to install 2 or 3 rd mag extension? TIA
    There are tons out there. Tac Star makes one, I don't know how reliable it is. Are you asking opinions of what mag extension kits are any good? As for me, I don't have any aftermarket tube mag extender kits, all my combat shotties are stock.

Yes. looking for suggestions on what works best and is easy to install. Sportsmans Warehouse sells the TacStar. I've also seen reference to Nordic and GG&G. Walmart has one for $56 that has some good review but you have to do some minor mods to the end of the existing tube. Wondering if you have to do that regardless of the extension?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

I did a bunch of reading on magazine extensions before I got one for my 870. I went with a Remington factory extension with the clamp for my 20". Hard to beat for the price.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    I did a bunch of reading on magazine extensions before I got one for my 870. I went with a Remington factory extension with the clamp for my 20". Hard to beat for the price.
    Did you get the +2 or +3? I'm assuming the 3 since yours is the 20"bbl

On their site now. I guess I need the tube, spring, tube coupling and the extension bracket and bracket bolt?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-28-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Did you get the +2 or +3? I'm assuming the 3 since yours is the 20"bbl

On their site now. I guess I need the tube, spring, tube coupling and the extension bracket and bracket bolt?
    Yep, I got the +3 from Midway. The extended tube came as a kit with everything that was needed (spring and all).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/160...uge-steel-blue

You're probably already aware, but just in case you aren't: You will have to file or dremel down the bumps that retain the spring at the end of the factory mag tube to allow the new spring and follow to feed all the way through to the extension. I used a file on mine and it didn't take long to do.
    Last edited by skorpion; 04-28-2017 at 08:24 PM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes. looking for suggestions on what works best and is easy to install. Sportsmans Warehouse sells the TacStar. I've also seen reference to Nordic and GG&G. Walmart has one for $56 that has some good review but you have to do some minor mods to the end of the existing tube. Wondering if you have to do that regardless of the extension?
    Check Brownell's. They have reviews on the product they sell. Look for the one with the best rating. It is what i would do and do when I want to get something I am not familiar with.

Thank you all.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

mine has a wilson combat +2 extension, no issues .

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Extensio...nfo/SGET-RH-2/
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Picked up one of the Tac Star 2rd extensions today. Installation was a breeze. It said it was parkerized but it actually matches the bluing on my Wingmaster very well.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

The finish difference between the gun and the extension is more pronounced in natural light than it is indoors but I still like the way it looks. With the weight of the extension and two more rounds of 9 pellet, 00 buck you can really feel the difference. It's a little muzzle heavy now, at least for the first few rounds. I actually prefer it this way.

I don't plan on adding a sling since I'd have to add an attachment point to the buttstock so I'm not planning on installing a bracket between the barrel and the extension. With a sling and or hard/duty use I probably would.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 06-04-2017 at 08:15 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Looks good - that's a finely finished specimen on both the wood and metal. I always liked how tube mag extensions give shotguns that "I mean business" look.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Quote Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
    Looks good - that's a finely finished specimen on both the wood and metal. I always liked how tube mag extensions give shotguns that "I mean business" look.
    Thanks. I've never owned an 870 that wasn't a Wingmaster. Based on the other versions I've handled over the years the WM isn't perfect, the buttstock tends to stand proud from the receiver but over all they seem to run a good bit nicer overall. Remington makes a "Hardwood Home Defense" model based on their Express line I'd like to check out. Also their Marine Magnum is one I'll be picking up as soon as I accumulate some rewards cards off my Sportsman Warehouse Visa card.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

It looks good Richard.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..