Thread: Opinions on Ford 5.0 Litre engine...

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Opinions on Ford 5.0 Litre engine...

I picked up a surplus 2011 Ford F-150 that was former power company truck yesterday and its got the 5.0 litre V8 engine... The truck has 136k miles on it but starts and runs as it should and feels like it has tons of power. I was told it has been well maintained and not abused and it appears so. I was told the power company took it to the dealership on time for everything. With that in mind Im not use to this engine... hoping someone in here was. I was wondering what the reputation on these are for longevity.. I was having some sort of mystery electrical problem with my Ranger and didn't feel like contending with it anymore. The dealership took my 2010 Ranger in an Even swap for the F-150 "as-is". There was no cash that changed hands. I am more then happy with the deal. But just sitting here. with a bad case of insomnia waiting for my sleeping pill to kick in. wondering how far i can hope to get out of this one... I didnt want to start a vehicle payment... so hoping to make the best of this one.

So anyway whats your opinion on the 5 litre ford engine?
    Last edited by rci2950; 05-10-2017 at 01:00 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i have a 2002 with a 4.6. it has about the same amount of miles as your truck. my friend has one with nearly 200k on it. his is in good shape and well maintained. i am pleased with mine. it does well in everything but the gas mileage, its a truck. if you've done your homework it should be fine.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

update to this,. I took it to another dealership (actual Ford service centre) today and had them do their overall inspection and it has a clean bill of health. It cost me $57 but i got an oil change out of it. Looks like it needed it. So I'm happy.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    update to this,. I took it to another dealership (actual Ford service centre) today and had them do their overall inspection and it has a clean bill of health. It cost me $57 but i got an oil change out of it. Looks like it needed it. So I'm happy.
    I've got a 2014 5.0 in my car, I only have about 25k on it but so far is great and not as bad on gas as you would think

Since it has had regular service at the dealership did you get a copy of the maint. history? All kinds of things need to be changed. Trans, Power steering, Brake fluid, Rear end.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..