Thread: The Dakota Fire Hole.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

The Dakota Fire Hole.

I've been wanting to show my sons how to build one of these and intend to once it gets a bit cooler outside.

This idea is ancient and has probably been rediscovered many times by many people, but nonetheless it's a good idea on many fronts.

In summary, the main advantages of using a Dakota Fire Hole include:

* burns hotter
    * with less fuel
    * producing less smoke
    * less light visible to those you do not want to find you
    * providing a stable cooking surface
    * easy extinguishing of the fire
    * and removal of evidence you have been there

http://www.survivaltopics.com/surviv...ota-fire-hole/
    Returns June 3rd.

i've made a couple of them just to be familiar with the concept and they work great. i found that and a lot of other cool ideas over at.....

http://www.survivaltopics.com/

I'm the one that's gonna die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    i've made a couple of them just to be familiar with the concept and they work great. i found that and a lot of other cool ideas over at.....

http://www.survivaltopics.com/

Yep, it's a great site. Even if a guy doesn't intend to try some of the things discussed it makes for interesting reading.
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

So the Dakota came up with this idea? That's where this came from? The native Americans had a lot of cool practical technologies. All handed down, generation to generation by example.

This makes me think of a show I was watching - Discovery or History channel - don't remember but it was about the Vikings and how they would take soil and burn it in little ovens to extract the iron from the soil - to get material to make swords and such. They'd have to process quite a bit of soil - gathering the iron from the bottom of the ovens to get enough to work with. Very cool as well.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 10-25-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    So the Dakota came up with this idea? That's where this came from? The native Americans had a lot of cool practical technologies. All handed down, generation to generation by example.

This makes me think of a show I was watching - Discovery or History channel - don't remember but it was about the Vikings and how they would take soil and burn it in little ovens to extract the iron from the soil - to get material to make swords and such. They'd have to process quite a bit of soil - gathering the iron from the bottom of the ovens to get enough to work with. Very cool as well.
    I would imagine that this idea of a vented fire pit has probably been discovered and used by many differing cultures through time. I think the idea here in the States is called a Dakota fire hole because that's where some Americans first ran across the idea, but it's use probably predates the Sioux and other northern plains Indians by a good bit.
    Returns June 3rd.