Thread: Buck 124 circa 1969

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Buck 124 circa 1969

Picked this up off an auction a month or so back. It was in pretty rough shape with some areas of the blade edge chipped pretty badly. Sent it back to Buck for a "spa treatment" and I'm very pleased with the results. Was worried the stock removal would be excessive to get rid of the chipping but it wasn't.

This is the oldest 124 I have at the moment. Since you have to point the blade down to read the lettering it's considered an inverted two line, two spacer without the exposed blade tang as the phenolic grip wraps the entire tang. The spacers which separate the guard and the butt from the handle material are burgundy micarta on this one which puts it between 1969-71.

The next earlier version was the same but with bone/hard fiber spacers. I had to use a magnifying glass to tell the difference as it's very subtle. I really enjoy all my Bucks but these older models are extra interesting with their variations. Researching them just adds to the enjoyment.

Last edited by Richard Simmons; 05-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Very nice knife!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thank you Chuck. I should also add that this version of the 124 Frontiersman uses 440c steel. During this same time frame Buck also produced the 122 Nemo dive knife, the only difference being the sheath. Mine is the full flap leather sheath stamped 124 on the rear. The 122 Nemo sheath is synthetic/plastic that can be strapped onto the divers leg or diving gear. I'm not sure if it's is stamped 122 or not.

Sometime after 1971 Buck added partial serrations to the Nemo and actually stamped them with the 122 model number. This is a perfect example of a knife where not everything is exact or by the book.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Very nice. There is something about a vintage buck knife that gets my gears turning. I may pick up a 119 special for actual use this years deer season.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38