Thread: FAB Defense PM-G for the Makarov

FAB Defense PM-G for the Makarov

Hey. For any of you Makarov guys who are interested, I ordered a FAB Defense PM-G grip for my Russian Makarov. Hoping to get it sometime in July. I use my Makarov for my CCW and love that little gun. I took it to Front Sight in Vegas a year ago and the thing shot like a champ, outperforming many of the other firearms in the class and never had any issues. I decided to get this grip because while the its a great pistol I don't like the mag release. This basically eliminates that problem, making it a thumb release. Before I get my new grip I was wondering if any of you guys had any experience with this grip or with FAB Defense in general. I plan on posting pics and doing a review here. If you guys have any questions about it let me know and I will try to provide answers.

Sorry this is late. I received the new grip about 2 weeks ago but didn't have a chance to get out to the range until the end of last week. Hopefully the pictures work and look good.

20170629_144032.jpg20170629_144041.jpgoutput.jpg

So, apparently FAB Defense is out of Israel which I was not aware of when I ordered it. It felt pretty solid and even came with an allen key for installation. Putting it on took less than 5 minutes. The illustrated instructions that came with it were real easy to follow. My only concern was that the opening would be a little narrow and it would be a pain to get on, but it slid on with no problem and linking up the lever to the old mag release was a breeze. When I tightened down the retaining bolt I received a pleasant surprise. An issue I had with my Mak in the past was I had to use my hand to strip an empty or partial empty from the mag well. They wouldn't just fall out. I just thought it was a tight fit and new that was an issue with some Maks out there. The first time I tested it out with an empty mag the mag slid right out on its own. After looking it over the only thing I could come up with was the new grip retaining bolt was just a little bit shorter so maybe my old one was long enough to push into the back of the mags. When I took it to the range it worked great the entire time. A buddy from work and I put about 150 rounds down range and never experienced any problems using the new mag release. The new grip changed how I hold the pistol a little bit but it still felt great in my hand and the swell at the bottom back seemed to allow me to get a better hold. After we finished at the range I checked the tightness of the retaining bolt and it did not work itself loose at all. Overall, the new grip is a big improvement to an already great little pistol. You can get them for left or right hand shooters and they come in 3 different colors, black, tan, and OD, if I remember correctly. Shipping only took about 2 weeks.
    Now the bad. It's not real cheap. At about $50 it is 1/8 of what I paid for the gun itself and that doesn't include shipping. However. I am glad I got it and am trying to convince the wife to let me get one for hers.