Thread: What's closest match for Egyptian Maadi wood stock?

What's closest match for Egyptian Maadi wood stock?

What is the closest match for Egyptian wood stock? I have all the other pieces but need a wooden buttstock for my Maadi. The Romanian laminated stocks look pretty close. Would the Russian AKM stocks be closer? I haven't posted here in years, have a renewed interest in AKs. I used to hang out here every single night many years ago.

Thanks for any replies!
    AKATTACK

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Glad you are posting again, and a renewed interest in AKs these days is very difficult because in the "good old days" it was much easier and much more affordable to find good factory imports. Bans and unconstitutional laws has taken a lot of the fun out of AK collecting at least as I once enjoyed it.

Honestly I think from more than a few inches away, either would work as long as you finished the stock in the color most Maadis came in.

Thank you 'Nut, I recognized your boardname immediately. I remember you were an avid collector of Chinese AKs. I have quite a few myself. I sure miss the good old days when we had a bunch of regulars here like Lupeloff, Shuetzenman, and a boatload of others that I can't even remember. Those were great times, I had a million laughs from this site back in those days. We used to have fun with Fred Sanford too.

Anyway, thank you for the info about the stock. I have seen Maadis with lighter and darker colored stocks. Do you know what is correct? Light or dark, gloss or dull finish? Thank you in advance!

AKATTACK

The ones I have found usually had dark golden brown color with a gloss that looked sprayed on, only very thick.

The person I go to for Maadis knowledge is STEEL CORE. I don't know if he checks in on Gunsnet, but as he is a great friend of mine I will see if I can get him to chime in with his thoughts on stocks if you can't get a Maadi stock. Give me a day or so.

Thank you for the help Sir!

AKATTACK

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

This guy has some nice stocks that he does.
    http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

I still have all the furniture even though I put a Bulgarian set on it many years ago. All I need is a buttstock, I have the original thumbhole buttstock but it is longer than the Warsaw pact buttstock. Seems like I can remember Z-recto used to offer a service of trimming them down but it's been many years ago. I have the original handguards and a black and brown Egyptian grips, I think I'm going to buy a Romanian stock and call it good.

I also have an angle-cut milled MAK that I need to buy a stock set for. Have been meaning to order a set from Ironwood for years. Thanks for the reminder!

AKATTACK

Unfortunately STEEL CORE is having problems logging into Gunsnet. Fortunately he sent me an email, from which I quote: "any Russian AKM stock set will do, but he can color match a Polish or Romanian set and as long as long as the upper is burgundy and the lower match the stock he will be good to go"

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Have to wonder how many other people are having a tuff time trying to log in.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Thank you imanaknut! I'm going to go with a Romanian stock that I'll strip and try to match to the Egyptian lower handguard I have. I figured that the Russian AKM stock would be close also, the Russians had a hand in setting up the factory in Egypt from what I've read.

Thank you again,
    AKATTACK

Correct about the Russians hand in getting Maadi going, and good luck with your stock project.

Remember, pictures are mandatory.

Yep, pictures to follow.

AKATTACK