Thread: Commercially sporterised Krag in 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Commercially sporterised Krag in 6.5×54mm Mannlicher–Schönauer

So my LGS was doing some house cleaning this week. They recently took on a very large estate sale and had to move some lower value things very quickly to make room. Yesterday i picked up these two sporterised Krags ammo and dies for $200 CDN total. The one with the scope is a regular 6.5x55 Swede that bubba got at. The bottom one is the one I wanted. I had to take both as a package to get the one I wanted. Anyway the bottom one is a commercial sporter done by Globe Firearms Canada. The barrel was shortened bored out and sleeved in 6.5x54 Mannlicher–Schönauer. The stock was nicely shortened and the military sling swivels removed and the holes plugged. Somewhere along the line someone put the marbles rear sight and the fiber optic front sight. The package came with the two boxes of ammo and the used three die set. The set includes the full length sizer and the neck sizer as well as usual bullet seater. This morning i got an email from the shop saying they found a bag of 100 6.5 Mannlicher–Schönauer brass for me that they will let me have for $40. I listed the scoped bubba rifle for sale for $225 shipped last night and already have two "I will take it" in my email. So if this plays out correctly i will end up with a free rifle, dies and brass. Both rifles have very good bores with no pitting. So should be good shooters. I have zero interest in the bubba one. I only wanted the commercial sporter because of the cartridge it is chambered in. The rifle is balanced very well and feels very good in the hands. I think it will make a good truck gun. Anyway here are some pics.

Last edited by rci2950; 07-15-2017 at 07:50 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

How much powder do you load for it?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Since i just started in this caliber i am just figuring it out. Looks like 160 grain round nose bullets and H4831 are where it seems to be. Loads however should stay under 45k psi as i have been told this is a somewhat weak action.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Arrggghhhh! I weep for the butchery of the Krag rifles.