Thread: Concerned... Miltary Retirement, VA Disability

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.

Concerned... Miltary Retirement, VA Disability

Do you think there will be money for VA disability in the future?

How about military retirement?

I collect combat related disability at 30% and will collect my Army National Guard retirement at the age of 59. I'm 41 right now. I'm relying on that retirement as part of my overall retirement income. I'm not sure our government will be able to pay when I get there.

What thinks you?
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

My best guess is if we still have social security we'll still have military retirement and disability pay. If we loose SS then all bets are off.

If anything I could see them re-evaluating disability claims and trying lower them or drop them all together. Same applies to SS disability.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 10-25-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Because of the times I see the bastards doing away with good and proper programs as well as welfare programs so they can have more money for themselves and their buddies to ripoff.

Anything to do with Veteran's issues is a hot topic. It would be a death sentence to any politician's career if they meddled with it in any negative way. We're too large of a voting block.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    Anything to do with Veteran's issues is a hot topic. It would be a death sentence to any politician's career if they meddled with it in any negative way. We're too large of a voting block.
    I hope you're right.
    I collect a full retirement and partial disability too.

Gunsnet Contributor 02/14

I went in and had....

a re-evaluation of my disability trying to get it increased. I am getting deafer than a stone. It is taking awhile because they are tracking down medical records going back to the early 70s. I have my fingers crossed.....I am now on social security and I am too deaf to get a part time job. So far, I haven't needed one yet.....chris3

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

While I hope our military retirement remains intact, about 15 years ago my wife and I started some Roth IRAs so we would not have to rely on it. My life will be much better if we have the military retirement, but I will be alright if we don't. Since our military retirement is an unfunded part of the budget, we decided it was a good idea to not put to much hope on it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I'm always worried about this. My disability is a decent part of my income and I don't know if we could make it totally without it. We could make it but not comfortably.

It's an awful story if a veteran wouldn't receive any benefit after retirement. However, Military veterans face some hardships once they get out of the service, one of the biggest being just trying to land a job. Unemployment is higher than normal for vets, but the good news is that a number of employers are hiring veterans.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noelpitt View Post
    It's an awful story if a veteran wouldn't receive any benefit after retirement. However, Military veterans face some hardships once they get out of the service, one of the biggest being just trying to land a job. Unemployment is higher than normal for vets, but the good news is that a number of employers are hiring veterans.
    The numbers don't seem to agree with that statement. Veterans are about at the same place, if not slightly better than the rest of the country.(http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t05.htm)

BTW, welcome to the board!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    The numbers don't seem to agree with that statement. Veterans are about at the same place, if not slightly better than the rest of the country.(http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t05.htm)

BTW, welcome to the board!
    When the US pulled out of Iraq, I helped organize a "welcome home" event. Sort of a hometown heroes throwdown with music, food, politicians, etc. One of our primary focuses was prospective employers to help with job placement. Its a big problem trying to transition from combat duty to civilian life and a 9-5. The skills the military teaches don't always readily translate...met some awesome young warriors and had a very satisfying afternoon.
    Face your fear, accept your war.