Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine Corps KC-130 aircraft loaded with ammunition and weapons explodes at 20,000 feet killing 15

Marine Corps KC-130 aircraft loaded with ammunition and weapons explodes at 20,000 feet killing 15

KC-130 military airplane, a versatile plane which is typically used as a refueling tanker, crashed outside of Greenwood in Mississippi on Monday afternoon
    Officials have recovered the bodies of 15 Marines and one Navy Corpsman from the wreckage
    The names of those killed have not been made public pending notification of family members
    The Lockheed KC-130 was transporting personnel and equipment from the Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in North Carolina, to Naval Air Field El Centro, California
    An official with the Greenwood Airport said the plane suffered a structural failure at 20,000 feet
    A Mississippi State Trooper said: 'There's a lot of ammo in the plane' and officials found debris on both sides of Highway 82 in Leflore County
    Andy Jones said he was working on his family's catfish farm when he heard a boom and looked up and saw the plane corkscrewing down to the ground
    Donald Trump tweeted after the crash that the 'Marine Plane crash in Mississippi is heartbreaking' as he sent his and Melania's 'deepest condolences to all'
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4mYGu5CNW
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Yeah something sounds fishy. I guess time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Yeah something sounds fishy. I guess time will tell.
    You thinking terrorism? That's scary.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Don't know the age or number of flight hours of this specific aircraft, but it wouldn't be the first to have structural failure. Spiraling down could indicate main spar wing failure, something that has happened in the past on high time airframes.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

The C-130 Has been in service since I was a small Boy, it came out in the late 1950s despite the C-131, the star lifter, with all the seats backwards, and the C-17, it is still in service, Even the beloved F-15 Eagle of 1974 will be leaving the Skies in 2025. I would hope they could find a replacement for it by now.
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

got to spend a few more billions on the 35 and 22 first.....
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    The C-130 Has been in service since I was a small Boy, it came out in the late 1950s despite the C-131, the star lifter, with all the seats backwards, and the C-17, it is still in service, Even the beloved F-15 Eagle of 1974 will be leaving the Skies in 2025. I would hope they could find a replacement for it by now.
    C-131???? Don't you mean the C-141???

From what I remember, the Samaritan didn't have backward seats.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I believe Hobe Sound hit the key next to the "4" by accident. Just didn't catch the typo.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I can understand structural fatigue in a high-hour aircraft. Every time I go near Dover AFB, there's always a C-130 in the air, making big circles around the city. From what I understand, it's a rule that one C-130 has to be in the air at all times. Most of the time, the pilots make touch-and-go landings just to break the monotony, or to train new pilots. Not sure how often they rotate planes, but I've seen as many as 7 sitting on the ground at one time, while the other one was flying. Constant rotation and flying has to take its toll somewhere.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Before anyone gets too exited there have been 81 U.S. Military and Coast Guard aviation crashes from January 2010 through today. Flying is a dangerous business. My prayers for the fallen crew.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Any of the crewmen or soldiers Muslims?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Before anyone gets too exited there have been 81 U.S. Military and Coast Guard aviation crashes from January 2010 through today. Flying is a dangerous business. My prayers for the fallen crew.
    Yeah and it is not commercial. Still it bothers me.

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Any of the crewmen or soldiers Muslims?
    So I would know and think that millions have had this thought. We will see cause all are looking.

be the heat..

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

It's 30 year old plus aircraft, 28 kc-130T's were built from 1983-1986. Maybe if they stopped giving the Marine Corp hand me downs and gave them decent equipment this kind of stuff would stop. They are still flying Huey's and Cobra's.

Initial Success or Total Failure

Reality VS looking for a boogeyman???????

Hmmmm

Sadly, shit happens. Sometimes the fault/damage is caught before anyone gets hurt and sometimes it occurs while the aircraft is flying. Same as your car, everything may seem alright but you might have something catastrophic happen while driving down the road today IE: blowout, engine failure- then you crash into a tree or oncoming traffic and whammo dead.

Your commercial planes have nowhere near the hours/toil most military versions do.

I do remember when they grounded the C-141's after a maintenance crew member walked across the wing to do an after flight check and the right wing snapped off from his body weight. They changed their x-ray procedures on them and found all sorts of bad things going on with the air frame due to age. LIke most of our aircraft, other than the newest models everything is getting up there in years .
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    Reality VS looking for a boogeyman???????

Hmmmm

Sadly, shit happens. Sometimes the fault/damage is caught before anyone gets hurt and sometimes it occurs while the aircraft is flying. Same as your car, everything may seem alright but you might have something catastrophic happen while driving down the road today IE: blowout, engine failure- then you crash into a tree or oncoming traffic and whammo dead.

Your commercial planes have nowhere near the hours/toil most military versions do.

I do remember when they grounded the C-141's after a maintenance crew member walked across the wing to do an after flight check and the right wing snapped off from his body weight. They changed their x-ray procedures on them and found all sorts of bad things going on with the air frame due to age. LIke most of our aircraft, other than the newest models everything is getting up there in years .
    This. These are old planes, and they for sure don't get babied like an old Corvette. I'll never forget my first deployment to Iraq when we landed so fast I couldn't hear for a week due to the pressure in my head.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

There's a difference between a wing snapping off and an explosion at altitude that separates the ac into cockpit and fuselage from wing and after section. But yeah planes explode in flight every day.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    There's a difference between a wing snapping off and an explosion at altitude that separates the ac into cockpit and fuselage from wing and after section. But yeah planes explode in flight every day.
    Are you making an assumption of did I miss eyewitness testimony that the aircraft split apart at the moment of the explosion? Logic dictates that a damaged airframe, traveling at terminal velocity from 20,000 feet will tend to rend itself apart during the decent. That would/could easily explain the separation of the fuselage prior to impact.

Here's a C-130 that exploded on take off in Afghanistan in 2015.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/military...bers-7-n437191

Another explosion in 1980

March 14, 1980 : C-130H 74-2064, c/n 4659, of the 463d Tactical Airlift Wing, explosion on board, inbound to Incirlik, Turkey, crashed 15 kilometers west of Incirlik.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

"Andy Jones said he was working on his family's catfish farm when he heard a boom and looked up and saw the plane corkscrewing down to the ground"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    "Andy Jones said he was working on his family's catfish farm when he heard a boom and looked up and saw the plane corkscrewing down to the ground"
    thats what planes tend to do when they lose power or have a major failure.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast