Thread: Any good free boot time malware detectors out there?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Any good free boot time malware detectors out there?

I'm trying to run malwarebytes, but apparently there's some malware preventing me from running it. I get Unable to connect service, I looked under run services.msc, it's not even listed. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, trying their chameleon but no results so far. I ran Superantispyware yesterday it found a shitload of tracking cookies, in the thousands, and a couple malware. I run webroot antivirus all the time, it's not finding anything. OS is WinXP64. I'm so fed up with assholes who write viruses and malware, they should be executed upon conviction.

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I'm trying to run malwarebytes, but apparently there's some malware preventing me from running it. I get Unable to connect service, I looked under run services.msc, it's not even listed. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times, trying their chameleon but no results so far. I ran Superantispyware yesterday it found a shitload of tracking cookies, in the thousands, and a couple malware. I run webroot antivirus all the time, it's not finding anything. OS is WinXP64. I'm so fed up with assholes who write viruses and malware, they should be executed upon conviction.
    When I used to run Windows, I used the "SysInternals Suite".

It's a collection of very handy utilities... one of which (that may help you) is "RootKit Revealer". A "rootkit" is a virus or malware that is installed either directly into the startup boot code or else the rootkit actually replaces the boot code, does it's dirty deeds, then jumps to the real bootloader.

These kinds of viruses and malware are virtually impossible to find or remove by the average user because they are installed as an integral part of the OS, usually in the boot sector(s), so there's no virus or malware "file" to locate and delete.

Here's the link to the RootKit revealer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...otkit-revealer

And the link for the whole suite (which contains the RootKit revealer as well): https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...nternals-suite

BTW, This software suite was originally written by a group of people called "System Internals" and they were subsequently acquired by Microsoft. But, don't let "Microsoft" scare you.. the SysInternals stuff is good, solid code.

Hope this helps.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Do you have to disable anti virus?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..