Thread: Roger, problem with Virtual PC

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Roger, problem with Virtual PC

Got tired of trying to run Mechwarrior3 on WinXP64pro, I'd get through one mission usually before it crashes, other times won't even get through the preliminary startup of a mission.(this is a WIN95 game) I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC and a pre made 98SE virtual disk from here: https://digiex.net/threads/digiex-ex...er-games.1022/ It's working great except no USB...The virtual 98 even sees my Microsoft Sidewinder precision 2 joystick but the only port available is game port but says in game controllers not connected(This is a USB joystick). Nor do I see any human interface devices in control panel/device manager like my real win98SE installation on another puter. Any suggestions on how to get USB working on Virtual PC??

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Got tired of trying to run Mechwarrior3 on WinXP64pro, I'd get through one mission usually before it crashes, other times won't even get through the preliminary startup of a mission.(this is a WIN95 game) I downloaded Microsoft Virtual PC and a pre made 98SE virtual disk from here: https://digiex.net/threads/digiex-ex...er-games.1022/ It's working great except no USB...The virtual 98 even sees my Microsoft Sidewinder precision 2 joystick but the only port available is game port but says in game controllers not connected(This is a USB joystick). Nor do I see any human interface devices in control panel/device manager like my real win98SE installation on another puter. Any suggestions on how to get USB working on Virtual PC??
    Try Oracle VirtualBox

I use it in Linux to run Windows 7 when I need to. It's VERY stable, very fast and hasn't given me a single problem (yet).

I don't play PC games, so I don't know how well it will support them, but it's worth a try.

Oh, BTW, it's a free download.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Try Oracle VirtualBox

I use it in Linux to run Windows 7 when I need to. It's VERY stable, very fast and hasn't given me a single problem (yet).

I don't play PC games, so I don't know how well it will support them, but it's worth a try.

Oh, BTW, it's a free download.
    Yeah, I'm gonna try Virtualbox and VMware, Apparently after much searching the Virtual PC 2007 doesn't support USB, very odd. Later versions for 7 apparently do, I'm gonna try on my 7 boot with the later Virtual PC. I downloaded and installed Vitrual box last night, looks a lot more complicated to figure out than Virtual PC, right off the bat starting up Virtuable Box, "no bootable media found". Say what? ERRRR can't make anything simple can they. Finally put in the premade 98 from the Virtual PC install, Got it going, have to put in a bunch of drivers from the 98SE cd, Still cant the guest to go to the full size of the screen, I have a little box in the screen at full screen mode it stays the same. Virtual BOX is much more complicated to setup. ERRRRRR Guess it's time to try VMware or the 7 version of Virtual PC. This blows. Virtual PC runs excellent but no USB support, Virtual box has USB support(if you can get the drivers from cd to the system(keeps asking for drive D when the drive is E). Display won't full screen, very complicated. JES%^& I just want to run 95/98 games without a fucking heaDACHE. i should just take all my computers to the range and learn to live without them. ERRRRRRRR. EDIT: Well DOGSHIT. The 7 version only offers guests as back as XPSP3...No win98/95. Guess I'll have to figure out Virtual box problems or try VMware......Fing microsoft, never want to make anything backward compatible without all kinds of workarounds.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 10-25-2017 at 11:29 PM.

Okay, I've run into a stone wall, I've got pretty much everything running and installed except for the display and sound. The win98 machine won't let me install the guestadditions so unless I can figure that out or how to take a file from XP host to the guest 98. Seems like everything is dependant on the guest additions. What a nightmare for me. Think that's why I gave up a long time ago when I tried virtual machines before.

Alright....Spent all night screwing with it, Finally abandoned the premade 98 machine and decided to try installing 98SE on a new machine. So far so good. I've got Virtual box running and I have sound now. I'm going to put a version of scitech display driver that supposed to open up the display to 32 bit and high resolution.... The question is however, how do I transfer files to the new machine? It's not drag and drop like Virtual PC was.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs down

You waste your Time, Playing Kids Games! When you could be watching a Good Movie Instead!!!!! Christ!
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Hobe Sound AK View Post
    You waste your Time, Playing Kids Games! When you could be watching a Good Movie Instead!!!!! Christ!
    I watch plenty of movies. My collection is over 1100 DVD's at this point maybe more. Military sims are great too. Working with military vehicles also is a third hobby. Hoping to get some armor before I die to play with also..
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 11-03-2017 at 04:47 AM.