Thread: Anyone here know a thing about Barrelling metric versus Inch pattern FALS?

Anyone here know a thing about Barrelling metric versus Inch pattern FALS?

On Gunbroker, there's an auction where the guy is selling an Belgian Metric barrel, but he had it installed on an inch pattern receiver. He claims that he shot the gun all the time. Huh? How does that work? I tried the opposite. I tried to put an inch pattern barrel on a metric receiver (basically the opposite of what he did) and it would not head space, the threading was different.

Any FAL experts here? Who can enlighten me as to whether it's worth bidding on a metric barrel that was force fitted onto an inch receiver?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Schuzman
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I have always been told metric will fit American but it will not work the other way.
    I know in a hard core pinch you can use metric wrenches and sockets on American
    stuff.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

If I remember right they have different thread pitches. To time a inch barrel you use a breaching washer that isn't used on metric guns. For the head spacing you use locking shoulder. I think the metric guns use that was well. I am going of memory so I may not be correct on this and I know the inch guns much better than the metric ones. As for re threading the barrel to get one to fit I don't know about that.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..