Thread: Brought Home a Windham Weaponry WW-15 In 7.62x39

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Brought Home a Windham Weaponry WW-15 In 7.62x39

Went to a local gun store and saw 3 rifles I want. An SKS with folding blade bayonet, a HI-Point carbine in .45 ACP, and the Windham in 7.62x39.

I traded 6 shotguns my dad left me (two pumps and 4 single shots), plus $200 for the Windham. It came with a five rnd. and a 10 rnd. mag.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the AR platform, I'm growing to like them more and more, especially when they come in the 7.62x39 caliber. I'm a fan of that cartridge.

So, now I have AR's in 5.56, .308, .22LR, and 7.62x39.

Now, to start saving for the other two....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Pictures, pictures.

Too bad I moved. It would be great to get together for another day of shooting.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Pictures, pictures.

Too bad I moved. It would be great to get together for another day of shooting.
    It would be great getting together and shooting again.

I've got to get my camera charged up and find a new host for photos, then I'll get some pics up. A while back, I ran into one of my bucket list guns: a stainless steel, S&W 629 Classic, with an 8 3/8" barrel. Not exactly a CCW gun, but it would be a great hunting gun. Can't wait to get time to shoot it.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Getting a proper magazine to reliably feed the 7.62x39 round in the AR platform has always been the challenge. I can't advise who makes a good one, never went for that caliber in anything but the AK or and SKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Getting a proper magazine to reliably feed the 7.62x39 round in the AR platform has always been the challenge. I can't advise who makes a good one, never went for that caliber in anything but the AK or and SKS.
    I picked up two hi-caps in DE and the dealer told me these were the reliable ones for that rifle. They are made by B.F.I. of Ilion, NY. He said the one I took in to compare wasn't that great.

I have four mags for it now. the two that came with it and the two I bought separately. I'll know in a few weeks when I take it out and try it.

I've gotten quite a few that are in desperate need of firing....

Freedom isn't free.

I've got a RRA upper in 7.62x39, I had to trim the bolt length a few thousands but it's great now with my BFI 30 rnd mag(the old Bushmaster), a C-Products mag ... And I've heard mixed reviews about the ASC mags, but I bought 8 of them and all have preformed flawlessly ... Now they've only been used a few times so take my comment with a grain of salt. I was shooting some old Russian surplus and newer production Wolf standard ammo, but so far so good!

I'd actually bought the BFI and C-Products mags for a Daewoo DR-300 I'd bought (cheap) with a broken bolt but after 3-4 years and not finding a bolt I sold it ... Then a couple months later I think it was Daewooparts made a run of bolts for it

I'm the kind of guy that can't have mags without a gun to use them in which is why the RRA came about, besides the RRA upper I've found I can also use them in my SiG 556-762 with a standard SiG 556 lower (instead of the lower that takes AK mags (synthetic only, steel mags are too sloppy and mis-feed) ... Probably info you didn't need but I like to share.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I've got a RRA upper in 7.62x39, I had to trim the bolt length a few thousands but it's great now with my BFI 30 rnd mag(the old Bushmaster), a C-Products mag ... And I've heard mixed reviews about the ASC mags, but I bought 8 of them and all have preformed flawlessly ... Now they've only been used a few times so take my comment with a grain of salt. I was shooting some old Russian surplus and newer production Wolf standard ammo, but so far so good!

I'd actually bought the BFI and C-Products mags for a Daewoo DR-300 I'd bought (cheap) with a broken bolt but after 3-4 years and not finding a bolt I sold it ... Then a couple months later I think it was Daewooparts made a run of bolts for it

I'm the kind of guy that can't have mags without a gun to use them in which is why the RRA came about, besides the RRA upper I've found I can also use them in my SiG 556-762 with a standard SiG 556 lower (instead of the lower that takes AK mags (synthetic only, steel mags are too sloppy and mis-feed) ... Probably info you didn't need but I like to share.
    Have you had any problems shooting steel cased ammo? I have a ton of Red Army Standard and Tula. I have a few boxes of brass cased ammo but it's not as readily available as the steel is.

I don't want to shoot steel if the bolt or ejector can't handle it.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Have you had any problems shooting steel cased ammo? I have a ton of Red Army Standard and Tula. I have a few boxes of brass cased ammo but it's not as readily available as the steel is.

I don't want to shoot steel if the bolt or ejector can't handle it.
    I've got 500-600 rounds through it, most has been with my M16 lower and it's been fine so far.

I'd put maybe a couple hundred rounds through it with the original DI system and I forgot to mention previously, I installed a Osprey Defence Piston conversion I'd bought for a 300BO project that didn't work out; the piston part of the conversion wouldn't fit under the float tube handguard I wanted to use so it sat on the shelf for over a year ... I had actually taken the 762 upper to a couple gunshows thinking I'd put it on the table but didn't have room. When I was putting it away I got the idea to use the Osprey conversion in it ... The Osprey website said it would work so I installed it and it works great. The bolt runs much cooler which I'd noticed it heating up quicker with the 762 rounds with the DI system. I don't do mag dumps but with the M16 I'd do several mags in short bursts and with the Osprey system the bolt carrier was still cool to the touch even after 100+ rounds which has got to be better for the components and so far I haven't noticed any wear on the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I've got 500-600 rounds through it, most has been with my M16 lower and it's been fine so far.

I'd put maybe a couple hundred rounds through it with the original DI system and I forgot to mention previously, I installed a Osprey Defence Piston conversion I'd bought for a 300BO project that didn't work out; the piston part of the conversion wouldn't fit under the float tube handguard I wanted to use so it sat on the shelf for over a year ... I had actually taken the 762 upper to a couple gunshows thinking I'd put it on the table but didn't have room. When I was putting it away I got the idea to use the Osprey conversion in it ... The Osprey website said it would work so I installed it and it works great. The bolt runs much cooler which I'd noticed it heating up quicker with the 762 rounds with the DI system. I don't do mag dumps but with the M16 I'd do several mags in short bursts and with the Osprey system the bolt carrier was still cool to the touch even after 100+ rounds which has got to be better for the components and so far I haven't noticed any wear on the extractor.
    Thanks for the answer. I have the DI system on mine. Don't know if I'll go with the piston, or not.

I hope to get mine out in a few weeks and see what it'll do.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Thanks for the answer. I have the DI system on mine. Don't know if I'll go with the piston, or not.

I hope to get mine out in a few weeks and see what it'll do.
    Putting the piston system on it is what convinced me to keep it.
    I think I’d picked the Osprey conversion for $275 I’ve also used the Adams conversion and I didn’t like the way it you had to replace the sight base with a clamp on ... but what I like about the Osprey is that you remove the DI tube and the piston fits into your existing base; it’s self regulated; no valves switch/clean no matter if you have an 11.5” barrel or longer, it’s suppressor friendly and doesn’t over-gas ... I’ve put the Adams system on a 556/223 gun and took it back off, it was leaking and not reliable ... at first I thought I just wasn’t lined up but after messing with it over an hour I noticed gas tracks around the base & valve.

BTW, I re-read my post and I didn’t intend to come off that I had to have the piston system, it worked fine with the DI system in semi-auto and heat wasn’t a huge problem until I put it on my M16, that’s when the continual short bursts would cause the uncomfortable heat build up ... when everything is going right the 7.62x39 in an AR is a fun round with a satisfying thump and you’ve probably noticed it’s more accurate than the typical AK!

I bought both of my Osprey Defense & Adams Arms piston kits on GunBroker ... I’ve shopped around and been patient and Found the best prices there. As I said before I really like the Osprey Defense, which is why I have 2 of them (one on the 11.5” 5.56 and the other on the 7.62x39 ... only 1 Adams Arms, which is still sitting on the shelf ... I bought it because of all the positive reviews but once I got it I didn’t like the way it went together ... never shot it.