Thread: Norinco model 87 lever action shotgun

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Norinco model 87 lever action shotgun

Coworker brought one in today that a family member is looking to unload. It's NIB and he's asking $300. Thought about it but several videos I looked at showed ejection issues. The fired case extracted then was left standing straight up at the rear of the chamber. Don't know if that was an early problem that got fixed later in production or not. This one is marked on the frame tang under the lever and not on the side of the receiver. Don't know it that is an identifier or not.

Just didn't want to pick up something with issues right out of the box.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

they need slicked up no matter what , and that damn lever catch safety removed and the lever made as one part.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It's a neat-looking shotgun. Did you try and eject a few shells to see if it would eject (without shooting it, of course)?

And, if it still had ejection problems, I wonder how much it would cost to get it fixed?

The price sounds pretty good for that shotgun.....still, it may not be worth it if it had problems and would cost a small fortune to fix it.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It's a neat-looking shotgun. Did you try and eject a few shells to see if it would eject (without shooting it, of course)?

And, if it still had ejection problems, I wonder how much it would cost to get it fixed?

The price sounds pretty good for that shotgun.....still, it may not be worth it if it had problems and would cost a small fortune to fix it.
    No, was at work and didn't have any shotgun shells handy.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I decided to go for it. For $300 new in the box I figured what the heck. I did check it out and this Model 1887 has no markings on the receiver at all. On the lower receiver tang under the lever it has the import markings and on the upper receiver tang it has the made in China info. The serial number is 06-008XX. Don't know if that might mean 2006 and it's in the 800 range or not? On the various Youtube videos I noticed a large block of lettering on the side of the receiver. Anyone know when they changed the markings and import dates on these?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

within the last few years they started showing up with the Norinco banner on the side.

after you fix the "points" addition to the lever, it's made be cycled like you're trying to break it as fast as you can.

The "2 Drop" feature is the best thing though.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    within the last few years they started showing up with the Norinco banner on the side.

after you fix the "points" addition to the lever, it's made be cycled like you're trying to break it as fast as you can.

The "2 Drop" feature is the best thing though.
    What is the "2 Drop" feature? Is that loading a second round on the lifter? I read a review where that wasn't an option on the IAC imports. This review linked below talks about a company that does an action job and sets it up for the extra cartridge for $125 plus $25 shipping.

https://www.gun-tests.com/issues/22_...l#.WfjLt02WxD8
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

drop 2 rounds in , first sits on elevator and 2nd feeds into chamber.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Heading to the range in a few. I'll give a report on how she shoots later today.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Is it the long barrel one? I want one real bad with a full length barrel and full choke. We have all kinds of short barrel terminator 2 style ones here but none that are suited for hunting.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

No, this is the 20" bbl. Happy to report it ran great. The only time the empty shell got hung up is one shot by my range partner when he cycled the lever slowly. If you worked it with authority it kicked them right out. I'm not talking shoot it like you stole it just cycle it fully and firmly. Didn't try loading an extra shell on the lifter but I bet it will work. Overall I'm very pleased with it. Lots of fun.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

They need to do a Shockwave version of this thing, bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Someone has. They call it the "Bootleg".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWX9_lWUPI

I think the pump action works better with the birds head pistol grip. Hickok45 has quite a bit of trouble working the lever in the video. I did it with the buttstock against my shoulder. Lots of folks lower the shotgun to waist level which makes it slower.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-03-2017 at 04:01 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post

i made mine into a pistol grip style, it was slicked up though so I could 'whip it' and cycle it one handed. Have to wear gloves or wrap the lever in something or you'll bleed .

if they had an even shorter barrel/mag tube the weight loss would make recoil unbearable.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!