Thread: Crappy Beretta mags

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs down Crappy Beretta mags

Technically they aren't Beretta mags but they are for my 92FS. Bought them years ago from CDNN. They are standard capacity, parkerized in individual ziplock bags with a paper label that says military contract and a bunch of numbers. Will see if I can find a makers name on them.

Anyway I loaded them 4-5 years ago, maybe longer but never went to the range. I recently bought some 30rd factory Beretta mags I needed to try out so I grabbed these when I went to the range today. The factory mags that came with the 92FS and the two 30rd mags ran flawlessly.

When I tried the parkerized mags I had one or more jams per mag plus several times the slide went home without chambering a round and with 2 or 3 of the mags they didn't lock the slide back after the last round.

I'm guessing the springs are crap. Wondering if just replacing the springs might take care of the issues? I've had factory Colt mags for my Goverment model 1911A1 and some Chip McCormick 8rd Shooting Star mags that I've left loaded for close to a decade and they worked fine. Granted they are single stack mags but still, a spring shouldn't fail due to extended compression.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-03-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

You have any pics handy? Those sound like the mags I was issued in the Corps from 2004-2008. They were absolute junk. Weak springs from the factory. Maybe try to get some Mec-Gar mags or see if you can get replacement springs.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Not only an AK nut but a Beretta Freak.

I tell everyone that asks that they should only buy factory Beretta mags marked with a "PB", MDS mags who makes Beretta factory mags and are marked almost exactly as the Beretta, but without the PB and with MDS. Mec-Gar also makes/made Beretta factory mags and sells them directly to the public using the Mec-gar name. These are the only three mag manufacturers that will work reliably every time with Beretta Pistols and pistol caliber carbines.

You are correct that the springs should not weaken if left loaded. The Soviets used to ship AK mags fully loaded and many sat for a long time before use. Beretta website states that more wear is put on the spring if you load and unload the mag as opposed to leaving them loaded or not.

Yeah with pistol mags you don't fuck around. You got what you paid for.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

As I recall they weren't ProMag cheap, just a bit cheaper than factory. The mags are marked on the left side, 9mm Airtronic Services, Inc. Elk Grove, IL USA. On the right side it's marked ASSY 9346413-MFR1C5Q6 10/2006. On the paper label on the ziplock it has:

M9M
    92F / M9 9mm 15rd US GOVT
    Contract Metal Bottom Mag
    MAGOH BER

https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...lutions-01707/

Anyone got a source for quality replacement springs? Maybe followers too?
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-04-2017 at 06:24 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

https://www.gunsprings.com/BERETTA/9...ID1/mID2/dID36

ME.. i'd examine the followers first.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    https://www.gunsprings.com/BERETTA/9...ID1/mID2/dID36

ME.. i'd examine the followers first.
    Thanks for the link. I guess I could swap the followers from my factory mags to the milspec/contract mags and see it that solves the issue. Any place sell followers?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

just check them to see if they have crap like burrs or have been over-parkerized.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Will do
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The problem our soldiers ran into when out government in their infinite wisdom purchased mags for the M9 (military identical to the 92FS) from the lowest bidder who had no business building mags. They made outside rough coated to be "sand resistant" and in their supreme stupidity coated the inside with the same rough material. That is why the M9 had such problems in the sandbox, cheap improperly made mags. Soldiers were begging family members to ship them correct Beretta factory mags. It took our government a ridiculous amount of time to admit their error and procure proper mags.

Richard, based on the date of your mag, it should have the corrected finish on the interior surface. Guessing a burr on the follower or an imperfection with the spring, or possibly even the mag body being slightly crushed.

Not locking the slide back on the last round is usually the follower land for the slide lock is worn off, or the follower is not rising high enough in the mag body.

Thank you.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod27358.aspx Wolf extra power springs.

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...prod25161.aspx ISMI springs, has 1 consumer rating of 5 stars. Both at Brownell's.

Thank you.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068