Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SHTF meds and ?s of current legality.

SHTF meds and ?s of current legality.

I currently working on bulking up on stuff in general but I have a legal ? about the meds that one may need SHTF.

Basically how to obtain serious pain meds without currently needing them? Morphine, demerol, vicadine, codine etc (please forgive if misspelled the names).

Also along the same line but more of a long term extended SHTF or restart senario

Is it illegal to grow poppi plants? This is a serious ? and im not a stoner, the reason I ask is that from what I understand you can order poppi seeds on a morning bagel so I assume its not illegal to own the seeds, so what about the plant?

It's not that easy to process the plant into something useful.

You can grow plants. I don't know about the laws in your state, you should check.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I don't think you can buy serious pain meds without a prescription, written by a doctor who believes you to need them.

They do have expiration dates, so if your expecting SHTF soon, its probably time to ignore the law (which I don't because I don't believe SHTF is immanent). In that case, buy up some heron or pain pills or whatever your local pusher or hustler is trying to unload.

Or, buy up tons of cheap canned green beans from save-a-lot, and wait a week into SHTF, then trade them for whatever you want from the pushers with any inventory left. You'll probably recognize them by the plasma screen strapped to their back, wading in two feet of contaminated water.

When you're out in the sticks guys, and SHTF, remember that pain is just weakness coming through the skin. Anyway, I suppose if getting your hands on these particular pain killers you mentioned is too difficult, you could always start looking into herbs. They can be very powerful if you find the right ones, and the best part, is most herbs are not illegal. The problem I suppose would be taking the raw materials and getting what you need out of them. This would probably take a good bit of alchemical skill, though I've never tried it. If all else fails, bring a bottle of whiskey.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1911 View Post
    I currently working on bulking up on stuff in general but I have a legal ? about the meds that one may need SHTF.

Basically how to obtain serious pain meds without currently needing them? Morphine, demerol, vicadine, codine etc (please forgive if misspelled the names).

Also along the same line but more of a long term extended SHTF or restart senario

Is it illegal to grow poppi plants? This is a serious ? and im not a stoner, the reason I ask is that from what I understand you can order poppi seeds on a morning bagel so I assume its not illegal to own the seeds, so what about the plant?
    I think you know the answers. Without a prescription you can't legally obtain the type of pain meds you're talking about. And even with one it has to be renewed every 30 days IIRC. Lots of doctors are pretty cavalier these days about giving these out, but usually not long term and the pharmacies certainly keep close records on this type of medication.

I think you're going to have a hard time obtaining them just to stock pile and I can't help but wonder why you'd consider this if you don't currently need them.
    Returns June 3rd.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

While they may have had a bottle of laudanum in the wagon this nation was settled by everyday people that traveled cross country and lived off the land with most likely nothing more than a jug of home brew for recreation and medicinal use. They routinely underwent dental procedures and even amputations without nothing anesthetic during the procedure let alone pain meds after.

Go with the bottle of whiskey option and a couple of bottles of NSAIDS like Aleve or Tylenol or something. Less hassle all around and if a pinch you'll probably still survive.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Most of those meds only last about a year or so then its bad. Id say the bottle of your flavor and the strongest over the counter shit you can find is your best bet. Or wait for the SHTF to occur and then loot a pharmacy or med center while the other looters go for the important things like TV's. As soon as I find out the SHTF I gotta go to the Pharmacy for insulin, then I'll take a look at the rest of the store for stuff i'll need more of.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Hochmeister View Post
    When you're out in the sticks guys, and SHTF, remember that pain is just weakness coming through the skin. Anyway, I suppose if getting your hands on these particular pain killers you mentioned is too difficult, you could always start looking into herbs. They can be very powerful if you find the right ones, and the best part, is most herbs are not illegal. The problem I suppose would be taking the raw materials and getting what you need out of them. This would probably take a good bit of alchemical skill, though I've never tried it. If all else fails, bring a bottle of whiskey.
    Good point.
    There are hundreds of various books out there for herbal and homemade remedies.
    Pharmacies didn't always exist.
    Sometimes "anything" is better than nothing at all.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arcangel View Post
    Most of those meds only last about a year or so then its bad. Id say the bottle of your flavor and the strongest over the counter shit you can find is your best bet. Or wait for the SHTF to occur and then loot a pharmacy or med center while the other looters go for the important things like TV's. As soon as I find out the SHTF I gotta go to the Pharmacy for insulin, then I'll take a look at the rest of the store for stuff i'll need more of.
    That's something I hadn't considered, not being diabetic myself. Not only would a SHTF senario disrupt access to insulin but as I recall from when I had a pet cat with diabetes, you have to keep the insulin refridgerated. At least we had to with my cat's insulin. Loss of power would make that much harder.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    That's something I hadn't considered, not being diabetic myself. Not only would a SHTF senario disrupt access to insulin but as I recall from when I had a pet cat with diabetes, you have to keep the insulin refridgerated. At least we had to with my cat's insulin. Loss of power would make that much harder.
    You'd almost have to bury your meds deep down where the soil is cooler and just hope for the best without refrigeration I guess.
    I dunno?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Good point.
    There are hundreds of various books out there for herbal and homemade remedies.
    Pharmacies didn't always exist.
    Sometimes "anything" is better than nothing at all.
    Yeah, I've got a ton of herbal books. Eventually natural supplies would run out, which is why I think it's highly important for everyone who is serious about being ready for a SHTF situation to educate themselves on how to survive without them.

Pills have a very long storage life.
    Doesn't matter if they give it a exp date, the fda made it that way.

A few bottles of unopened pills will last a very long time. I have a few K set aside.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Do you have a good relationship with your physician or Dentist? Just be honest and tell them what your plans are...

My personal family SHTF med kit includes:

-Syringes, needles and local anesthetic (2% Lidocaine)
    -Suture Kit (3.0 and 4.0 Silk and Chromic Gut-resorbable sutures, and 6.0 nylon sutures)
    -Scalpel and Blades
    -Iodine
    -Gloves (Latex and Non-Latex)
    -Bandages (numerous) and tape
    -Maxi Pads (good for stopping bleeding)
    -Turnicates/rubber hosing
    -Slings/Wraps
    -Stethoscope and Blood Pressure Cuff
    -Scissors/Hemostats
    -Isopropyl Alcohol
    -Cold Packs (just break the liquid and instant freeze when it mixes with the crystals)
    -Hot Packs - Ben Gay, Bio-Freeze, I forget the name but those heat pads that have the black crystals in them when opened with O2 get hot).
    -Bee Sting Wipes
    -Sun Screen
    -Calamine Lotion
    -Vaseline
    -KY Jelly
    -Sunburn Spray
    -Gross Anatomy Book (how many of you have one? you need to have some idea of what you're cutting into if necessary)

ANTIBIOTICS
    -Penicillin
    -Erythromycin
    -Keflex
    -Augmentin XR
    -Clindamycin
    -Ciproflaxin/Doxycycline/Levofloxacin (Anthrax)

PAIN MEDS
    -Tylenol w/ codeine
    -Hydrocodone
    -Percocet

SEDATIVES
    -Ambien
    -Valium
    -Halcion

MUSCLE RELAXERS
    -Celebrex
    -Robaxin
    -Flexeril

MISCELLANEOUS
    -Tylenol
    -Advil
    -Aspirin
    -Benadryl (Unisom sleep melts are perfect, 25mg tabs that dissolve easily)
    -KIO3 - radiation (thyroid)
    -TamaFlu and Relenza (swine flu)
    -EPInephrine Pen (Anaphylaxis)
    -NoDoz - Caffeine Stimulant
    -NyQuil (this stuff should be a Rx)
    -Robitussin
    -Honey

Tell your doctor what you're preparing for... be honest... I've given Rx's to a few close friends/family who have asked for this SHTF specific reason. The biggie here is, don't ask for pain meds every 6 months! I think a renewal once a year would be appropriate... you don't want to be labeled as a drug seeker.

IF you can't get pain meds from your doctor... go and join this site:

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/

And while we're at it... you might want to check out: http://homedistiller.org/, they'll teach you all you need to know to make alcohol for fuel and medicinal purposes

Making dope from poppy pods is extremely easy, you can collect the latex sap that contains opium by slicing the side of the pod and smoking it, or you can dry the pods, crush them and boil in water at a specific temp (search the above site) and reduce the liquid down to a concentrated sap... the difficulty with homemade pain meds is "DOSAGE", a match head of opium might be enough to partake of, while two might make you overdose, if you're really going to investigate homemade remedies/meds, PLEASE research thoroughly and do NOT experiment as it may kill you... I am not advocating doing anything illegal, but if the SHTF and laws are out the window... what are you going to do if you break your leg or have a tooth pulled with your dad's pliers? Knowledge is still free thank God

If your doctor won't give you antibiotics.. there's plenty of online pharmacies that will sell them to you without a doctor's Rx... pain meds are the only things tough to get, but if you keep digging, even then you can find an online pharmacy that will supply you.

The last item on my shopping list which I haven't acquired yet is one of those automated defibulators like you see in the airports and malls... they used to be like $5000-6000 bucks... but the price has come waaaaaay down! You can get them for less than $2000 now.

One more thing... it'd be a good idea to have a written chart of dosages for ALL meds broken down into Infant/Sm. Child/Adolecent/Adult... a lot of times a pill can simply be broken in half or quartered if you know the appropriate dosage.
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 10-27-2010 at 07:01 PM.

swampdragon

Cool

SWEET!

Mark just hooked us up with a bunch of on-line drug dealers.
    Kewl.....

ONly thing with some Pain killers.

Is the addiction you get from some of this stuff is insane. It's not even physical your brain falls in love with those chemicals making life hell for days/weeks.

IE: you won't be thinking about survival/raping zombies you'll be more concerned with "Where to get more"

IF things are bad, do you really think you'll ween yourself off ??
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Helen Keller... if you have a couple bottles of pain meds, even 90 tablets at most... you are not going to get addicted to them over a couple weeks.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Helen Keller... if you have a couple bottles of pain meds, even 90 tablets at most... you are not going to get addicted to them over a couple weeks.
    Yep.
    You're right.
    I know.
    I've tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Do you have a good relationship with your physician or Dentist? Just be honest and tell them what your plans are...

My personal family SHTF med kit includes:

-Syringes, needles and local anesthetic (2% Lidocaine)
    -Suture Kit (3.0 and 4.0 Silk and Chromic Gut-resorbable sutures, and 6.0 nylon sutures)
    -Scalpel and Blades
    -Iodine
    -Gloves (Latex and Non-Latex)
    -Bandages (numerous) and tape
    -Maxi Pads (good for stopping bleeding)
    -Turnicates/rubber hosing
    -Slings/Wraps
    -Stethoscope and Blood Pressure Cuff
    -Scissors/Hemostats
    -Isopropyl Alcohol
    -Cold Packs (just break the liquid and instant freeze when it mixes with the crystals)
    -Hot Packs - Ben Gay, Bio-Freeze, I forget the name but those heat pads that have the black crystals in them when opened with O2 get hot).
    -Bee Sting Wipes
    -Sun Screen
    -Calamine Lotion
    -Vaseline
    -KY Jelly
    -Sunburn Spray
    -Gross Anatomy Book (how many of you have one? you need to have some idea of what you're cutting into if necessary)

ANTIBIOTICS
    -Penicillin
    -Erythromycin
    -Keflex
    -Augmentin XR
    -Clindamycin
    -Ciproflaxin/Doxycycline/Levofloxacin (Anthrax)

PAIN MEDS
    -Tylenol w/ codeine
    -Hydrocodone
    -Percocet

SEDATIVES
    -Ambien
    -Valium
    -Halcion

MUSCLE RELAXERS
    -Celebrex
    -Robaxin
    -Flexeril

MISCELLANEOUS
    -Tylenol
    -Advil
    -Aspirin
    -Benadryl (Unisom sleep melts are perfect, 25mg tabs that dissolve easily)
    -KIO3 - radiation (thyroid)
    -TamaFlu and Relenza (swine flu)
    -EPInephrine Pen (Anaphylaxis)
    -NoDoz - Caffeine Stimulant
    -NyQuil (this stuff should be a Rx)
    -Robitussin
    -Honey
    I have about 80% of your list now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    I think you know the answers. Without a prescription you can't legally obtain the type of pain meds you're talking about. And even with one it has to be renewed every 30 days IIRC. Lots of doctors are pretty cavalier these days about giving these out, but usually not long term and the pharmacies certainly keep close records on this type of medication.

I think you're going to have a hard time obtaining them just to stock pile and I can't help but wonder why you'd consider this if you don't currently need them.
    I to this day have never needed a gun, and yet I carry one every day.

I do know "those" answers but I quite honestly do not intend to follow that route, thats why Im asking for input from like minded persons. Im not trying to be slick or do anything that could get me in the kind of trouble that kind of stuff would bring. Definatly never been a habit of mine nor am I looking for it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    I have about 80% of your list now.

Im at about 20% =( that Nodoz is something I dont know if I want. I took some for a drive from Houston to Orlando after work one night and I was praying to God for it to were off already so that I could go to sleep already!

I think the books on herbal remedies are right on the money to be able to know what is around me that is already available.
    Last edited by hawk1911; 10-27-2010 at 09:49 PM.

NoDoz... suppose one in your party is too sick to stand watch and you have to pull double duty? NoDoz might keep you awake during the night which is what you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast