Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How time flies

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up How time flies

Just realized that later this week, December, I'll have been a Gunsnet member for 18 years. Man, a lot has happened during that time. Nothing stays the same and I do miss the glory days and the boom times on the C&R side of the board but be that as it may I still call this place home and all of you family.

Don't know if the board or myself have another 18 years in us but I certainly hope so. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this site and to my life. It's much appreciated.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Time is flying. I think I joined in 2007 after buying my first handgun (a 1911) and I needed some help with a simple mechanical issue. The answers I got were serious and did not make me feel stupid for what turned out to be very simple to fix. It got me to check another thread and then suddenly it is almost 10 years later. I do hope the board sticks around. It is like having pen pals without the wait for the post office.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Agree, hard to believe how long some of us have been around. I will have 16 years in February. It did seem like there would be an endless supply of inexpensive C&R, the AK variants would play nicely as william jefferson clinton had not yet further stomped on the Constitution with his ban of "non-sporting weapons" by name.

Looking back I can't believe how much time I would spent here, and how much fun I would have.

I joined in 05/06? and it has been a hoot. But I do remember some of you wanted my ass perma banned.
    But the mods here, as I have learned, have never been over bearing. That is what I have always appreciated
    about this place...
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I joined in '01 or '02...it's been awhile
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

We never recovered after the big shut-down. I think my original join date was November of 1999. I see it says 2010 after the reboot.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Just realized that later this week, December, I'll have been a Gunsnet member for 18 years. Man, a lot has happened during that time. Nothing stays the same and I do miss the glory days and the boom times on the C&R side of the board but be that as it may I still call this place home and all of you family.

Don't know if the board or myself have another 18 years in us but I certainly hope so. Thank you to all of you who have contributed to this site and to my life. It's much appreciated.
    I forget when I first joined, it had to be around the time I bought my first two guns from that place in Fridley, MN,Federal Arms I think it was called, around the same time frame as you.

An AK74 and G3 boat anchor clone. I miss all the great stuff in the BIY forum that got lost. We should petition the NSA to restore our forums.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 11-29-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    We never recovered after the big shut-down. I think my original join date was November of 1999. I see it says 2010 after the reboot.
    What shutdown? That must have been before my time.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I think I must have joined in December of '98, as I had been here awhile when the Y2K rolled around. Memory is a little Skippy tho, now days.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

its been a while. I joined when AK-47.net brought me here.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Next February I will have spent more of my life with a gunsnet account than without

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    What shutdown? That must have been before my time.
    It was off line for about a year. The original server company ripped off the site, took money for upgrades and never delivered then shut it down and to this day has not released the old files as far as I am aware. I had over 60,000 posts on the original web site. It started as AK-47.net and was purchased and converted to be part of Gunsnet.net.

I was a Roadhouse regular for years. I do miss that. I wish I could read my old posts, because I'm hilarious.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

I have no idea how long I posted. Though I do miss the glory days of C&R. I was looking for an Underfolder when I stumbled upon the site. Speaking of C&R, last two days I was in the woods. One day with a MN-44, yesterday with a M1. Saw 6 deer yesterday, nothing I could really take a shot at. Still fun hefting those old rifles around the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I have no idea how long I posted. Though I do miss the glory days of C&R. I was looking for an Underfolder when I stumbled upon the site. Speaking of C&R, last two days I was in the woods. One day with a MN-44, yesterday with a M1. Saw 6 deer yesterday, nothing I could really take a shot at. Still fun hefting those old rifles around the woods.

i do miss all the old c&r pics.

guys had some amazing stuff back then.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I was sitting in the stand, around 9 I heard some thumping. Saw three does running up the power line. The smallest one did stop, but I didn't feel comfortable taking the shot. The biggest of the three does ran circles around my stand.

About a half hour later, I saw a tail flick, another doe in the distance. Then I saw the buck behind her. I could have taken the shot, but since I took a buck last week. By law I had to shoot a doe first. So, he walked.

Two years ago I shot a doe with my K-98 Russian capture. I am going to hunt again tomorrow. Now sure what C&R I am going to take. Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I joined in spring of 2003. This place used to really hum back then. Heck, I even miss reading Ferd & Arnulf's goofy posts nowadays....
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Fred sure did generate a lot of traffic. I remember how people used to piss and moan that he should be banned, but when he was locked up in the lounge for a while, the lounge became busier than General discussion. Of course back then, there were probably a dozen sub forums that had more active posters than this whole site has now. I remember one time posting a new topic in general discussion and then going back in to look at it and it was on the second page before I could even reopen it.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Agree! I joined in July 1999! Crazy and fun times way back then. Hope this board survives for a while longer.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast