Thread: Schrade SCHF38 Frontier Full Tang Drop Point Fixed Blade Knife

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Schrade SCHF38 Frontier Full Tang Drop Point Fixed Blade Knife

Last edited by recon; 12-01-2017 at 04:25 PM.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I like the design but I'm not a fan of Schrade since Taylor Brands picked them up.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

So who is taylor brands?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Actually I forgot S&W bought out Taylor brands last year. The entire history of Taylor brands is really long and involved, we're talking many decades. You'd have to spend a lot of time in the knife forums to get up to speed but in a nutshell all the crappy knives and swords you see advertised on late night TV are Taylor brand.

They get the cheapest Chinese stuff they can. Over the years they bought up brands like Schrade and put that name on cheap Chinese crap, CCC.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good and even some fantastic knife makers in China. Taylor Brands just doesn't use them.

On a side note Remington has been having their knife line made by Bear & Sons for quite a while. Buck knives is now making the Remington brand. Buck will make some of the Remington line in China where Buck makes some of their own knives. The rest will be made at the Buck plant in Idaho.

The Idaho made models will be coming out in January if I recall correctly. I'm kind of excited to be able to get a classic Remington pattern with Buck's quality. Bear & Sons just didn't cut the mustard.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-02-2017 at 06:52 AM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I remember Schrade pocket knives. I guess not to many USA knife company's anymore?
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

There's still quite a few though many, including Buck, Spyderco, etc., have some models made off shore. Buck is the company I have the most experience with and they make about 12% of their product overseas. Their continuing business model is to get back to 100% US made as soon as feasible. I think they're over halfway to meeting that goal.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068