Thread: You black powder shooters read this.

You black powder shooters read this.

Seems there are problems with this rifle.
    https://apnews.com/adbc910fa9064d4fb...njured-hunters
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

This is the model that people were using smokeless pistol powder in. So not surprising this has become an issue.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have never fired, nor do I own, a modern, in-line BP rifle. I prefer the the traditional types of muzzle loaders.

However, even with those, one has to be careful and closely watch what you're doing.

I've never heard of this malfunction before, but I guess it could exist. I don't rule out human error, either. Many people think their in-lines are capable of handling higher pressures than traditional style firearms....they're not.

I, also, prefer regular black powder over modern Pyrodex-type of powders.

And, I don't mind all the cleaning that is involved....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    This is the model that people were using smokeless pistol powder in. So not surprising this has become an issue.
    Regardless of what the company says, if it's a BP style firearm, I would never think of using regular, smokeless powder in them.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Savage Arms started making the 10ML-II in 2001
    They knew long enough that it was a problem, shame on them.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 12-07-2017 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Regardless of what the company says, if it's a BP style firearm, I would never think of using regular, smokeless powder in them.
    If they use the right kind of steel it will not matter. Given the many failures it would indicate that they did not select a proper grade or that the supplier of the steel bar stock made the steel incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    If they use the right kind of steel it will not matter. Given the many failures it would indicate that they did not select a proper grade or that the supplier of the steel bar stock made the steel incorrectly.
    you think it's a low cycle crack propagation issue? Its a bit out of my area but I remember the "leak before crack" criteria which I believe was dependent on the material choice.

In the news article I saw today, it had that same picture of the man's damaged hand but it also had a picture of the split barrel. GOOD GRIEF !! The barrel split lengthwise into 4-5 strips at least as big as a football, just in front of the fore-end. The man is lucky he didn't lose his hand.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    you think it's a low cycle crack propagation issue? Its a bit out of my area but I remember the "leak before crack" criteria which I believe was dependent on the material choice.
    Well probably. But it comes down to either the metal has the tinsel strength strong enough to handle the pressure of the powder being used or it blows up, usually on the first time it is stressed. Cold Roll can be used to make a black powder barrel, Iron, even brass can and was used to make black powder gun barrels all they way up to artillery that had 10, 20, 30 lb. charges of it propelling a projectile. Smokeless powders are extremely fast burning and hit much much higher pressure peaks. Having at one time worked in a gun barrel company we made bp barrels and modern smokeless powder barrels. We used (if I remember correctly) 1127 for the BP barrels and 4140 for the smokeless barrels. Also we used 416 resulferized SS for both.

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Seems there are problems with this rifle.
    https://apnews.com/adbc910fa9064d4fb...njured-hunters
    It could be problems with the rifle or the guy just overloaded it. How can a jury make this decision based on facts and not emotion?

If someone wants to avoid the cleaning associated with Blackpowder nothing cleans easier than Hodgdon 777.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    It could be problems with the rifle or the guy just overloaded it. How can a jury make this decision based on facts and not emotion?

If someone wants to avoid the cleaning associated with Blackpowder nothing cleans easier than Hodgdon 777.
    Cleaning up afterwards is part of the fun.

Freedom isn't free.