Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Tested My New Mossberg Shockwave

Just Tested My New Mossberg Shockwave

For some reason in the last week I developed an urge to buy a Mossberg Shockwave shotgun. I got one yesterday and tested it today.
    With birdshot the recoil didn't seem that bad. However, after shooting my normal #1 Buck home defense load I have to say that my right hand that was holding the front grip now hurts. On the other hand the birds head rear grip produces recoil that (while not exactly mild) was not uncomfortable for my left hand. There appears to be some thought that went into the birds head grip. Next step is to order a GG&G light mount

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Did you get a 12 ga. or a 20 ga.? I'm thinking about getting the 20 if I go with a Shockwave.

I wonder what the difference in felt-recoil is between the two?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Got the 12. It is certainly shootable. The 20 may be more practical. Hard to say. If I ever have to clear my house in the middle of the night the Shockwave will now be my goto gun. I really like it. I wouldn't recommend the 12 for anyone with medical conditions such as nerve damage to a hand. My right hand still hurts a little bit several hours after shooting.
    Last edited by jet3534; 12-08-2017 at 04:25 PM.

As far a house-clearing, my go-to gun is my KSG. But, the Shockwave looks a little more "pack-able" for hiking, etc.

I think I'll call my regular dealer and see if he can get a 20 ga. and how much it will cost.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    As far a house-clearing, my go-to gun is my KSG. But, the Shockwave looks a little more "pack-able" for hiking, etc.

I think I'll call my regular dealer and see if he can get a 20 ga. and how much it will cost.
    The KSG is very cool looking and seems very functional. For me it is a little too expensive and I have had mixed results with Kel-tec pistols. After thinking about it the 20 ga. version of the Shockwave is probably the way to go.

I have a 500 with a pistol grip
    I found that using the weight of the gun helps with recoil
    Kind of hard to explain rather than showing someone
    I can hold it out in front of me one handed like a pistol and there's very little felt recoil and it stays pretty flat
    If you get that idea you can find the comfort spot on how firm to hold the front grip
    You just want to control the gun rather than holding it like a shouldered full length shotgun
    Maybe that will help but I know the rear grip is a little different on yours so maybe not
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Just got a shockwave myself, mostly as an inexpensive blaster to throw in the car. Case holds 40 rounds and was $35 at my local PSA.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Just got a shockwave myself, mostly as an inexpensive blaster to throw in the car. Case holds 40 rounds and was $35 at my local PSA.
    Nice case for a good price. This may be a stupid question but what does PSA stand for?

As someone who subscribes to the "grey man" theory, I like to carry my shorter long guns in a low profile soft guitar case.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I believe he's referring to Palmetto State Armory.

http://palmettostatearmory.com
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post

Thanks.

I have thought about keeping mine in the bedroom as a home defense gun. As an addition to the Glock 23.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post

Yap.

The real reason I got the shockwave: in case some Cypress Hill shit breaks out.

https://plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip/

this is your friend.

5-6 coats on the rear grip makes a huge difference in felt recoil.

dont take it apart, just tape about " of area above the grip.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Shit. My dealer can't get one because MD hasn't put them on the Handgun Roster yet. MD is treating them as a handgun, which means you have to take a state certified pistol class, go through fingerprinting (already did that for my FL CCW), pass a handgun proficiency test, pay for a certificate, then after all that, you still have to wait 7 days after purchase to take it home. All of this costs about $300. Phuk that.

I've already taken a state police test and received a handgun purchasing certificate, but that is no longer is valid.

I was hoping they would be treated as a regular shotgun, not a handgun.

But, MD is not a gun-friendly state.

Bastards.

Freedom isn't free.

Shit. My dealer can't get one because MD hasn't put them on the Handgun Roster yet. MD is treating them as a handgun, which means you have to take a state certified pistol class, go through fingerprinting (already did that for my FL CCW), pass a handgun proficiency test, pay for a certificate, then after all that, you still have to wait 7 days after purchase to take it home. All of this costs about $300. Phuk that.

I've already taken a state police test and received a handgun purchasing certificate, but that is no longer is valid.

Bastards.
    Hey at least there is a remote possibility for you, California considers it an SBS so it's not even a remote possibility.

Bastards.
    If you are living in MD because you work in DC, the MARC train does make two stops in WV. Rode it for years, but doing so made for a long work day.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    If you are living in MD because you work in DC, the MARC train does make two stops in WV. Rode it for years, but doing so made for a long work day.
    I live on the Eastern Shore and only go to DC about once every 2-3 years, but am planning a trip to WV this Christmas. I have a few fossil sites I want to scout out. Maybe, if you're close to where I'll be going, we could meet up and have a drink.

Freedom isn't free.

I live on the Eastern Shore and only go to DC about once every 2-3 years, but am planning a trip to WV this Christmas. I have a few fossil sites I want to scout out. Maybe, if you're close to where I'll be going, we could meet up and have a drink.
    Sounds good. Let me know if you are anywhere in the WV Panhandle and I'll buy lunch and a drink. I never tried to PM anyone on this site but I will try to PM you my email.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast