Thread: Range Day

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up Range Day

Supposed to be in the low 50's today so packed up a few to take to the range later this morning. Today will be a revolver day. Taking my 3" and 5" S&W model 610's in 10mm, a S&W model 25-14 and a model 22-4, both in 45ACP, a 4" model 28-2 in .357 and lastly a 4" Colt Trooper MKIII, also in .357.

The Colt is NIB from 1977. I've been putting off shooting it due to condition and the fact that I have several, similar revolver but it's not the most expensive firearm per se so I decided what the hell. The first handgun I ever bought was a 4" nickel MKIII in 1978. This one is blued but otherwise identical. Sold the first one 30 years ago so this will be a stroll down memory lane for me.

Picked up a fair amount of 45GAP when Gander Mountain closed here earlier this year for cheap. IIRC I paid around $6 per 50 red box. Anyway I got it to run through my 45ACP revolvers. Curious to see how it does? Also found an old ammo can of 40 S&W reloads I don't want to run through my Glock 35 so the model 610's will be eating those today.

Took my 4" S&W M57 to the range last time but other than that I haven't done any revolver shooting in a few years. Should be fun and policing the brass will be a piece of cake!
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-17-2017 at 06:46 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Have a great time! It's been too cold, and I have been too busy to shoot lately.

Thanks. We should try and get together with Dave and whoever else we can round up at Pott's Slope. Maybe this spring?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I would like that for sure! I will get off my butt and submit some forms too! You know for travel to Virginia!

That would be sweet.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Well it sure does sound like fun. Enjoy and be careful.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

So how did it go?

Only about 42 degrees when I was there so a little chilly. The 45 GAP worked fine though at 185gr it was hitting low since I was sighted in for 230gr. The Trooper felt just like my old one which was nice. Was shooting everything at 25yds and wasn't shooting well at all as far as groups.

I've noticed some deterioration in my vision since I developed Type II diabetes. Before I got it under control I was having a lot of difficulty reading my computer screen at work. Still not the best. Also I wear progressive lenses and I'm overdue for an exam and a change in my Rx. Had a hard time keeping the front sight in focus.

Still I had fun even though I wasn't gonna win any prizes for accuracy. Hadn't shot the 5" model 610 before. In fact it's the only 5" I have. It's got the full under lug like the 586/686 models. I really liked the feel. With the full lug it has the heft of a 6" and a little longer sighting plane than a 4". A lot of revolver guys seem to think the 5" is the perfect barrel length. Not sure I'd call it "perfect" after just one range session but I do like it!
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 12-17-2017 at 05:43 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068