Thread: Test post

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Test post

Just a test. 463,372
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

How'd I do?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Is this a pop-test? I didn't study.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The square root is 680.71433.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Never seen a square root in my yard.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnetadmin View Post
    Just a test. 463,372
    Ever consider.............

?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Ok, if you must know how I fucked up, here you go.

I've been running GN on a virtual machine as an experiment under VirtualBox. It was running on a r710, super overkill but that was just the beginning. I didnt like the idea of using an r710 to run VirtualBox as I felt it limited what I could do with that server. I host other websites also.

I only had 1 r710 at the time. Dual Xeons, 48gb ram, 15k SAS drives, yes, RAID-5.
    I picked up 2 (I always buy servers in 2's except when I bought the r710), HP DL360 G5 servers with the intention of moving GN to a real VM stack, upgraded ram to 48gb but didnt RAID the data drive. It was only for a test. I tried ESXi but didnt want to pay for it, especially if I had to use fucking Windows to manage it, same with XenServer. XenServer is great, but again, they changed their business model for the free version and again, I dont want to use a Windows based solution to manage my VM's so it was out the window. Instead I found oVirt which is totally bad ass, robust and free. I moved GN a few weeks back from VirtualBox to a VM running on the HP server. Complacency maybe..was my downfall. Since I didnt RAID the data drive and didnt check backups (afterall it was working on the previous VM, I literally cloned the VM, why would it stop working??), it took a shit and there went GN. I'm ok with losing hardware, dont give a shit actually, but dataloss is a black eye for me. That really bothered me and still is.

I moved GN back to the r710. Data drive is in a RAID config. Checked backups, its working fine. The NAS I dump nightly backups to is in a RAID-6 config. Just yesterday I picked up another r710 to serve as a standby. It will have the same RAID config and oVirt setup. Will need to bring GN down again sometime that way I can set up on-the-fly database replication between both servers.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    It's all good as long as we finally get drone capabilities over in the sandbox.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Spam (stylized SPAM) is a brand of canned cooked meat made by Hormel Foods Corporation. It was first introduced in 1937 and gained popularity worldwide after its use during World War II. By 2003, Spam was sold in 41 countries on six continents and trademarked in over 100 countries (except in the Middle East and North Africa). In 2007, the seven billionth can of Spam was sold.

According to its label, Spam's basic ingredients are pork, with ham meat added, salt, water, modified potato starch as a binder, sugar, and sodium nitrite as a preservative. Natural gelatin is formed during cooking in its tins on the production line. Many have raised concerns over Spam's nutritional attributes, in large part due to its high content of fat, sodium, and preservatives.

By the early 1970s the name "Spam" became a genericized trademark, used to describe any canned meat product containing pork, such as pork luncheon meat. With expansion in communications technology, it became the subject of urban legends about mystery meat and other appearances in pop culture. Most notable was a Monty Python sketch which led to its name being borrowed for unsolicited electronic messages, especially spam email.

History
    Spam was introduced by Hormel in 1937. The Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America states that the product was intended to increase the sale of pork shoulder which was not a very popular cut. Ken Daigneau, brother of a company executive, won a $100 prize that year in a competition to name the new item. Hormel claims that the meaning of the name "is known by only a small circle of former Hormel Foods executives", but popular beliefs are that the name is an abbreviation of "spiced ham", "spare meat", or "shoulders of pork and ham". Another popular explanation is that Spam is an acronym standing for "Specially Processed American Meat" or "Specially Processed Army Meat".

The difficulty of delivering fresh meat to the front during World War II saw Spam become a ubiquitous part of the U.S. soldier's diet. It became variously referred to as "ham that didn't pass its physical", "meatloaf without basic training", and "Special Army Meat". Over 150 million pounds of Spam were purchased by the military before the war's end.

During World War II and the occupations which followed, Spam was introduced into Guam, Hawaii, Okinawa, the Philippines, and other islands in the Pacific. Immediately absorbed into native diets, it has become a unique part of the history and effects of U.S. influence in the Pacific.

As a consequence of World War II rationing and the Lend-Lease Act, Spam also gained prominence in the United Kingdom. British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher later referred to it as a "wartime delicacy". In addition to increasing production for the U.K., Hormel expanded Spam output as part of Allied aid to the similarly beleaguered Soviet Union. Nikita Khrushchev declared: "Without Spam we wouldn't have been able to feed our army". Throughout the war, countries ravaged by the conflict and faced with strict food rations came to appreciate Spam.

Last edited by Cypher; 01-29-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Pie are squared, pie are round, I'll eat Pie how ever it's found.

Ok, if you must know how I fucked up, here you go.

I've been running GN on a virtual machine as an experiment under VirtualBox.
    Wow. I had no idea. I thought this was a dedicated Unix (Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc...) machine.

I have a private file server for my family data storage (pictures, documents, ripped DVD's, etc) and it runs Debian 64 bit Linux... Five 2 terabyte drives setup as RAID-6 (giving me 6TB storage) running on an ancient Socket 775 Core-II Quad motherboard at 2.66 GHz. and 8 GB of ram.

It's nothing special, but for home use it's OK and it's been rock solid ever since I built it.

When GNS went down the last time (the big one) that was the machine that I hosted my "temporary hangout" board for Gunsnet users (Ozzie Bastable setup one also and we each had our share of users).

That's how long this server has been around..

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Wow. I had no idea. I thought this was a dedicated Unix (Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc...) machine.
    It is, but I'm not going to dedicate a r710 with just 1 OS for just GN, its way overkill. It has other web-based purposes. GN over the years was housed on its own server, but if that server took a shit or was going to be replaced by something better, it required me to start from scratch which took quite a bit of time. I was looking for making it easier to migrate to something new, hardware wise and software wise. GN has moved to various servers over the years. Since the previous servers David bought, I've moved GN to 2 different sets of servers I've purchased on my own. It was a chore, but once I virtualized..its simple.

If I need to move GN to a different Linux distro or upgrade to a newer distro, no problem:

1. create a VM, migrate over, point virtual NIC to new VM.
    2. Doesnt work? No biggie, change the virtual NIC back to original VM.
    3. Business as usual.

Virtualization does that for me. Lets say I for some reason decide I'm just done managing GN or I die or something like that and someone else has host it, simple..I can export the VM and someone else can pick up where I leave off.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    When GNS went down the last time (the big one) that was the machine that I hosted my "temporary hangout" board for Gunsnet users (Ozzie Bastable setup one also and we each had our share of users).

That's how long this server has been around..
    Thats quite some time ago..

BTW, picture uploads working.
    -=Alex=-

I had to use fucking Windows to manage it.....
    LMAO!! It's impossible to say "Windows" without prefixing it with "fucking" or some other equally appropriate adjective.

Windows. The only virus people actually pay for.

Just a test. 463,372

FYI there is a problem uploading images to the gallery. I got this error message if it helps:

My Photo Gallery Message

Unable to move file [/tmp/phpxJuave] -> [/webstuff/gunsnet_vb/photopost/uploads/32/server-01.jpg]

The HTML:

<!-- END TEMPLATE: menubar.tmpl REPLACEME --><div class="blockcontainer gshad">
    <div class="sbox collapse">
    <h2 style="text-align:left;" class="boxhead"><span class="boxtitle">My Photo Gallery Message</span></h2>
    </div>
    <div class="box-body" style="margin:0 auto;" id="pp_comshow">
    <table class="gridtable hidegrid" style="margin:0 auto; width:100%;">

<tr>
    <td style="vertical-align:top; text-align:left; width:100%;">
    <span class="normal"><b>Unable to move file [/tmp/phpxJuave] -> [/webstuff/gunsnet_vb/photopost/uploads/32/server-01.jpg]</b></span>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </div>
    </div>

weird... I'll check it out.
    -=Alex=-