Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownells has retro AR15's They look pretty sweet

I dig it, any reason you went with the e1 over the a1?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Reminds me of the Colt SP-1 I fired in 1973. Can't remember if the handguards chucked a bit or not.

I noticed in the video he said the 601 and the E1 had the 1/12 twist barrel but didn't say what the A1 & Carbine had ... Is yours 1/9?

I was also wondering about the buffer, I had a 1964 which I believe was the 601, It had a 4 digit serial number; 65xx if I remember correctly, and I think the E1 also had a 2-part buffer, much like the Colt 9mm buffer (only longer) ... What's this got in it?

MUST HAVE!
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Partisan1983 View Post
    MUST HAVE!
    Hey Partisan...where ya been hiding out?
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I dig it, any reason you went with the e1 over the a1?
    No real reason, I couldn't decide between all of the 5.56 rifles, asked the wifey to help pick which one we should start with. I plan on buying the whole series, pending rangetime. She chose the 64-67. It's been a lot of years since I bought or built my last rifle. Spent years collecting Military vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    I noticed in the video he said the 601 and the E1 had the 1/12 twist barrel but didn't say what the A1 & Carbine had ... Is yours 1/9?

I was also wondering about the buffer, I had a 1964 which I believe was the 601, It had a 4 digit serial number; 65xx if I remember correctly, and I think the E1 also had a 2-part buffer, much like the Colt 9mm buffer (only longer) ... What's this got in it?
    0" 5.56x45mm NATO Barrel with 1-12 twist & chrome bore Not sure on the buffer.

I saw this on another forum, that was discussing AR-10's and linked the Brownell's Retro AR-10's ... And in a moment of weakness I ordered the BRN-10A, which is a clone of the 1955-1960, AR-10 with the brown furniture. According to the video, they are made with all the modern finishes, the carriers/bolts are chrome plated and both are MPI tested as is the barrel which is phosphate coated.

It's only available for pre-order but I threw my credit card in the ring ... Not sure if I'll ever be able shoot it, but it does have a 5/8x24 thread so I can put on my suppressor on it to help mitigate the recoil ... I've had opportunities to buy the original and the Armalite clones, but never had the money at the time ... so I decided not to let this pass me by.

Edit to add ... I was disappointed that they don't show the left side of the receiver and am curious as to what it says ... If it's licensed by Armalite, if it says Brownell's or if it has the actual makers mark & logo is a Rugeresk style
    I just preordered one too. Let me know if you find out anything more about them or when they are coming to fruition. I live chatted with Brenda, she had no date. You can cancel however anytime. Made sure of that. Now I'm not sure if I want to order the Slabside original "m16" or the CAR.......... I noticed though they cheated on the foregrip, or maybe the US version was different. This is a good vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmHxieQduE
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-15-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I've seen this video before. The guy coming out of the surf & firing was supposedly Eugene Stoner. He appears later on in the disassembly part of the film as well.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

I just preordered one too. Let me know if you find out anything more about them or when they are coming to fruition. I live chatted with Brenda, she had no date. You can cancel however anytime. Made sure of that. Now I'm not sure if I want to order the Slabside original "m16" or the CAR.......... I noticed though they cheated on the foregrip, or maybe the US version was different. This is a good vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmHxieQduE
    As much as I was looking forward to getting one, I decided to to cancel my order for several reasons ... First I decided I didn't want $1,700 hitting my credit card unexpectedly, and they have no idea when it's going to be available. Another is my Ostioprosis, it would be at least 2 years before I can shoot it, and that's providing the daily shots of Forteo I give myself turn it around, and lastly; the loose handguards you mentioned on the 15 clone you bought really bugged me, the AR has been around for what, 60 years? Why on Gods green earth would there be slop in the hand guards? Even if the originals were that way, they finally fixed it and that was probably more a fault of Mattel than the way it was designed!
    Not exactly the same thing but when SiG came out with the 556 and had those ugly fish gill handguards I put a set of 551's on and they were loose it bugged me so bad I put the ugly ones back on.

I get excited about new stuff like this and almost every time I've been a "beta-tester" I've regretted it ... Even recently, I ordered a new lower hand guard for my 805 Bren from Manticore for $79.95 ... I was one of the first ... About 2 weeks later they dropped the price by about 25% ... and sure that's only $20 but a 25% price from in a matter of weeks? Seriously?

I'm looking forward to your review though!

As much as I was looking forward to getting one, I decided to to cancel my order for several reasons ... First I decided I didn't want $1,700 hitting my credit card unexpectedly, and they have no idea when it's going to be available. Another is my Ostioprosis, it would be at least 2 years before I can shoot it, and that's providing the daily shots of Forteo I give myself turn it around, and lastly; the loose handguards you mentioned on the 15 clone you bought really bugged me, the AR has been around for what, 60 years? Why on Gods green earth would there be slop in the hand guards? Even if the originals were that way, they finally fixed it and that was probably more a fault of Mattel than the way it was designed!
    Not exactly the same thing but when SiG came out with the 556 and had those ugly fish gill handguards I put a set of 551's on and they were loose it bugged me so bad I put the ugly ones back on.

I get excited about new stuff like this and almost every time I've been a "beta-tester" I've regretted it ... Even recently, I ordered a new lower hand guard for my 805 Bren from Manticore for $79.95 ... I was one of the first ... About 2 weeks later they dropped the price by about 25% ... and sure that's only $20 but a 25% price from in a matter of weeks? Seriously?

I'm looking forward to your review though!
    Yeah, I made sure I could cancel if it isn't available. Slight twist in handguard on the E1 aside, I'm either ordering the Slabside 601, or XM177.... Having a hard time deciding. Think this new assault on "assault weapons" just makes me want to buy more faster. Sick of being blamed for crazies and criminals while they refuse to arm and train school officials. I believe they actually want these shootings to continue, it's the only explanation for not arming and training school staff for a decade. BTW KimberKid, did your 601 have green furniture? I hear you on the bone problem. Suffering myself for the last 5 or more years with sciatica in my left buttcheek. I drive for a living(so imagine that), the pain is getting so intense, I really have to have it taken care of before I go nuts.. Can't sleep, can't sit though I have to....... I don't know much about bone loss as in your case, is there any pain involved?
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-16-2018 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I've seen this video before. The guy coming out of the surf & firing was supposedly Eugene Stoner. He appears later on in the disassembly part of the film as well.
    While I was trying to find the videos, I learned Armalite (geneseo IL) was bought out......... Didn't realize that.

While I was trying to find the videos, I learned Armalite (geneseo IL) was bought out......... Didn't realize that.
    Yeah, the current Armalite isn't the Eugene Stoner Armalite of the 60's ... they've been bought a couple times. 10-15 years ago I was thrilled to find an Armalite stripped receiver (in the past they said they didn't sell receivers) ordered it and it says Armalite by Eagle Arms.

I see on their site now that Eagle Arms is a division of Armalite ...

When they were selling armalite guns at places like dunhams for under $1k I kinda figured somebody else bought them.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Yeah, the current Armalite isn't the Eugene Stoner Armalite of the 60's ... they've been bought a couple times. 10-15 years ago I was thrilled to find an Armalite stripped receiver (in the past they said they didn't sell receivers) ordered it and it says Armalite by Eagle Arms.

I see on their site now that Eagle Arms is a division of Armalite ...
    Oh I know, the Armalite in Geneseo was the second use of the trademark. They got bought out, so now it's number 3. Fairchild Aircraft was the original owner, Armalite was a sub division. They made the stupid mistake of selling the Ar15/M16 to Colt just before Vietnam got started.... DOOOOOH......... That's why the first ones were marked Armalite Colt The AR18 was Armalites attempt to fight off Colt for the lucrative military contracts........ I have one of the about 400 transferable AR18's in the country.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-17-2018 at 12:31 PM.

Cancelled my back orders for the AR10 and Ar15A1. I decided I want an M1A more. I did order the XM177 though from brownells. Also ordered a police turn in Colt Ar15A2 from another place where I'm going to get the M1A from as soon as it's back in stock.

Well crap!
    Who's going to review it for us now?

For the kind of money they're charging for a product of unknown quality, I decided it's best to let a few together out in the wild too and let someone else do the beta-test.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Hey Partisan...where ya been hiding out?
    Destiny 1 LOL.

But in all seriousness, life. All my time/energy/money had to be dedicated to all sorts of things over the last couple of years
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12