Thread: CMP Receives 99,000 M1 Garands

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs up CMP Receives 99,000 M1 Garands

Just read the CMP is receiving shipments of Garands from the Philippines 86,000 and Turkey 13,000. No word on condition, models or availability yet but I don't believe they got nearly that many from Greece and those lasted quite a long time.

http://www.guns.com/2018/01/31/cmp-9...date-on-1911s/

They also received 8,000 1911 pistols from the U.S. Army.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Best I can figure there were about 180,000 Greek Garands returned and sold through the CMP. Still not sure how many years it took to go through those but I'm guessing 6 maybe 8? Had a Danish return with VAR barrel at one time that I let go as well as a U.S. Surplus SA that is also long gone. I may try and get one this time around and keep it.

Supposedly those South Korean Garands are still a possibility and I've heard those number around 125,000.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That would be great! I may pick up another one. The first one I got from them is a great shooting rifle.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Oh I just want 1 in any condition!!!! Wish me luck!!
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Any they get back in is a good thing. Bet they will not be $230 delivered to my door though.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Any they get back in is a good thing. Bet they will not be $230 delivered to my door though.
    Nope. Last Rack Grade I bought probably 10+ years ago was $495.00 and the cheapest they have listed now is $630.00. The CMP depends on these sales to stay up and running so it doesn't make sense for them to sell these at $500 when folks are buying and reselling them for $900. I recall some years back seeing 10-12 garands in the rack at my LGS all marked "consignment" with nearly double what the CMP sold them for. If they do anything I'd like to see them keep the sales from going to retail FFL's like that but then again, as I stated above it's the way they earn their livelihood so a sale is a sale so I really can expect exceptions.

Now if congress would fund the CMP and just let them act as a clearing house for these firearms then they could sell at much lower prices but that isn't the case.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Nice to see these coming back to the USA. That's a lot of rifles that need a good cleaning.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!