Thread: Hi-Point 10MM Carbine

Hi-Point 10MM Carbine

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Hi-Point 10MM carbine? There is nothing I need less than another gun, but I feel I just have to have one of these. It looks like it may be another month or two before they are available. Although this carbine is bigger and heavier than Jeff Cooper's concept of the "Thumper" in a strange sort of way it is in the ballpark IMHO. I see it as having less blast and flash than an AR-15 or AK at self defense distances, but more thump than say a 9mm carbine.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Can't comment on the 10mm. round (I don't own any guns in that caliber), but Hi-Point carbines are tack drivers out to about 50 yds. I've only fired the 9mm. but have a .45 auto (that I haven't fired yet) that should be just about as accurate as the 9mm.

For the money, it's hard to go wrong.

The only downside I can see is that they have proprietary mags (which aren't that expensive).
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It should be attractive as an all around weapon for people on a budget. 10 mm full power stuff is up around .41 magnum in power and ballistics.

Well I went out today and bought a High Point 10mm carbine. Too damn cold to test it today but I will shoot it next week and post a report. I got also two boxes of Federal ammo at the gun store and the cost of the ammo was obscene but I thought I might fire a few rounds when I got home but gave up when it started snowing for a few minutes. The Federal ammo (per their specs) is very low power - about 1080 FPS with a 180 grain bullet. I have ordered some Underwood ammo to play around with - both the bonded hollow point and the extreme penetrator.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Well I went out today and bought a High Point 10mm carbine. Too damn cold to test it today but I will shoot it next week and post a report. I got also two boxes of Federal ammo at the gun store and the cost of the ammo was obscene but I thought I might fire a few rounds when I got home but gave up when it started snowing for a few minutes. The Federal ammo (per their specs) is very low power - about 1080 FPS with a 180 grain bullet. I have ordered some Underwood ammo to play around with - both the bonded hollow point and the extreme penetrator.
    You'll like the gun. It'll be one of your more reliable ones. Hi-Point carbines are one of the best and you can't beat the price, either.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Get some of this S&B ammo when it's back in stock. It's the best bang for the buck when it comes to plinking ammo for the 10mm. Nice velocity (1164 FPS) for range ammo and relatively cheap. The SIG Elite 10mm ball is good, too, at 1250 FPS. You should see some nice velocities out of that 17" barrel!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

Well I went to the range today to test my 10mm high-point. Initially the gun was shooting about 8 inches to the right at 50 yards with the factory sights. I had to move the rear sight more than a little bit to the left to get dialed in. Sort of reminded me of sighting in an old WASR-10 with a canted front sight. Once dialed in I was shooting 4 inch 5 shot groups at 50 yards which I thought was good since it was cold and windy. Two people next to me shooting ARs seemed to be incapable of hitting their targets at all under the same conditions. The trigger IMHO was excellent. Trigger pull was light with just a little creep. Certainly a good combat trigger. Reliability was 100% for 100 rounds. The ejection seemed weak with cases dropping about two inches to the right of the gun. The only concern I have was that after about 50 rounds I started having some minor issues loading the first round in a magazine, i.e., after pulling the charging handle back I had to ride it forward a little bit. to load the initial round Not sure what the issue is with this. The gun had a nice thump and even with the weak ammo a little kick - clearly more powerful than a 9mm.

i want to get one and run it with 135gr going about 1470 or so .

like 10mm was intended.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!