Thread: Picked Up One Butt Ugly Rifle Today

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Picked Up One Butt Ugly Rifle Today

When I first saw this rifle, I swore I would never buy it, but I saw one in a gun store and fell in love with it when I handled it the other day. Since I was passing through the town again today, I stopped in and bought it.

It's the .22 RF version of the butt ugly tactical .30-30 lever action that Mossberg came out with a couple of years ago. Since I only have one other .22 lever gun, I figured I could use another one for beating around and general shooting.

I paid $420 OTD. Cheaper than any other gun store around could get it for.

Mine must be an early version as it doesn't have the muzzle break nor is it set up for a muzzle brake or silencer (like all the photos show) and it has regular iron sights, not the fiber optic sights.

All the rails can be smoothed out with the snap-on plastic plates that come with the gun.

As soon as I get a chance to run it through it's course, I'll write a review and post it. The next time I go shooting (probably in early March) I'll take many of the guns I've purchased this last year and review them, too. Hope to get some photos of the shoot and the guns then, too.

Here's a stock photo of what I bought:

"Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

OH GOD NO!!! What is wrong with you??!!

Chippoa makes a but-ass ugly thing like that too.

People need to STOP buying these things so they will STOP making them!!

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep that is butt-assed ugly! But ... how well does it shoot, that's the real question.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Yep that is butt-assed ugly! But ... how well does it shoot, that's the real question.
    Don't know about how well it shoots, but when I cycled it (in the store), it cycled as smooth as oiled glass. Nothing felt "cheap" about it. Solid all the way. That's what really caught my interest. I was figuring on it not feeling "well built" but everything about it felt "right." So, I was pleasantly surprised and bought it.

The only downside with it is that is only shoots .22 LR, not shorts or longs, but I can live with that.

Actually, if it warms up a little around here, I may take it, and a few other guns, to my brother's farm and shoot them there. It's been a while since I've shot anything and I'm getting impatient.....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

the old lever rimfires have come a long way. in looks.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Don't know about how well it shoots, but when I cycled it (in the store), it cycled as smooth as oiled glass. Nothing felt "cheap" about it. Solid all the way. That's what really caught my interest. I was figuring on it not feeling "well built" but everything about it felt "right." So, I was pleasantly surprised and bought it.

The only downside with it is that is only shoots .22 LR, not shorts or longs, but I can live with that.

Actually, if it warms up a little around here, I may take it, and a few other guns, to my brother's farm and shoot them there. It's been a while since I've shot anything and I'm getting impatient.....
    You must be older than me if you value the ability to have a .22 rifle shoot shorts and longs. Ammo makers hardly make any of those chamberings any more. Those cost a premium vs long rifle ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You must be older than me if you value the ability to have a .22 rifle shoot shorts and longs. Ammo makers hardly make any of those chamberings any more. Those cost a premium vs long rifle ammo.
    Wally World sells a lot of .22 Short ammo. I buy it whenever I can as I can use it in my Marlin 39 and some of my revlovers.

I haven't seen any .22 Longs at all.

But I do remember when they were as plentiful as .22 LR.

Freedom isn't free.

That multiple size variability is one of the things I loved about the Marlin Golden 39A that I bought when I was in high school. I could mix all three ammos (S, L, LR) in the magazine, in any order, and it would feed them all. IIRC, 28 Shorts, 21 Longs, and 18/19 LR. And, for a levergun, with a 4X scope, was pretty damned accurate.

I miss that gun.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    That multiple size variability is one of the things I loved about the Marlin Golden 39A that I bought when I was in high school. I could mix all three ammos (S, L, LR) in the magazine, in any order, and it would feed them all. IIRC, 28 Shorts, 21 Longs, and 18/19 LR. And, for a levergun, with a 4X scope, was pretty damned accurate.

I miss that gun.
    I have an original 39 (all the bluing is long gone now) that's a lot shorter than the 39A that I used to own. It doesn't hold as many rounds, but it'll shoot Shorts, Longs, or Long Rifle, too. It's far lighter than this Mossberg is and it's super accurate. If this Mossberg comes anywhere close to being as accurate, I'll be happy.

Freedom isn't free.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i dont have a problem with "ugly" guns. as lons as the lead comes out the front they can be useful. i have one of those chiappa's, it make a great pack rifle.

my issue with this gun would be- $400+ for a 22 ?!?!?

maybe im just getting too old too but a 22 rifle should be no more than about $200, maybe up to $250 if its the super duper deluxe upgrade of the $200 model.