Thread: Thoughts On An Auto Ordinance .45

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Thoughts On An Auto Ordinance .45

I've run across an Auto Ordinance, semi-auto "Tommy gun." The dealer wants $1,000 for it. It is in like new condition and comes with a 30 rnd. stick mag and a 50 rnd. drum, all in a guitar shaped rifle case. I think it has a 14.5 in. barrel (may be 16") with a 2 or 2 1/2" compensator welded to it.

From what I've read, it has a great reputation and is very solidly built.

Is that a fairly good price? Anyone else have one of these?

Thoughts....?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see how it feels.

This is a photo of a similar one I found on Internet.

"Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Price sounds pretty good with all you'd be getting
    Might want check if it's an actual 50 rd drum might be a 10 rd
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

A new one will run you right at $1,300.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    Price sounds pretty good with all you'd be getting
    Might want check if it's an actual 50 rd drum might be a 10 rd
    When I was asking about the gun, the dealer said it was a 50 rnd. drum. I'll find out, for sure, tomorrow.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

They are heavy, should be about zero recoil.

Buy
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Great price! Last one I saw new the MSRP was around $1300. Add the drum and you really have a good thing there!

As Shuetzenman said, they are heavy, and with a fully loaded 50 round drum might need a fork lift to get it off the table.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

if it helps my Auto Ord, new production M1 carbine is a champ. The quality is excellent on that. So if that says anything about the company...
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I've run across an Auto Ordinance, semi-auto "Tommy gun." The dealer wants $1,000 for it. It is in like new condition and comes with a 30 rnd. stick mag and a 50 rnd. drum, all in a guitar shaped rifle case. I think it has a 14.5 in. barrel (may be 16") with a 2 or 2 1/2" compensator welded to it.

From what I've read, it has a great reputation and is very solidly built.

Is that a fairly good price? Anyone else have one of these?

Thoughts....?

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see how it feels.

This is a photo of a similar one I found on Internet.

One thing I know is that a Tommy-gun is freakin heavy in aluminum, and the steel ones are even heavier.

Unless you want it because it's a Tommy-gun, I'd suggest fuggetaboutit.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

It IS heavy. Fondled it at the dealer's today. It is in mint, NIB (guitar case) condition. The drum is a 50 rnd. drum (says so in the drum).

I left $500 on it and should be able to pay the remainder and pick it up sometime next week.

It's definitely a solid gun.

Freedom isn't free.

We'll need some pics ya know
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    We'll need some pics ya know
    I know. Gotta find a photo place on the Web so I can upload some pics. I've got about 15-20 I want to post.
    Last edited by alismith; 02-10-2018 at 05:48 PM.

Freedom isn't free.

Auto Ordnance means nothing. Kahr Arms is making them now.
    UNLESS it says Bridgeport Conn or West Hurley on the right side of the receiver I wouldn't touch it.
    The new ones (Kahr Arms) are made in Mass, and I heard they changed the design.

BISHOP

I've worked on several and owned three, one early pistol, an early carbine, and a late 80's carbine.
    These are just a HOOT at the range.

From what I can see the basic design is still the same as it was.

Yes, it's heavy, so was the original full-auto. It's made of solid milled steel and American walnut. For the caliber the full-auto and semi-auto are probably the most over built guns of all time.

You can use surplus 20 and 30 round magazines by using a 1/4 inch chainsaw file to file the hole in the back of the box magazines upward until they JUST lock into place.
    Much trouble is caused by improperly altered magazines or steel cased ammo.
    Auto Ordnance specifically warns not to use steel cased ammo because it breaks the extractor.

The company recommends to use only 230 FMJ ammo, but I used mine with cast lead 230 grain round nose bullets with no trouble other then leading of the Cutts compensator.

It's hard to use the drum unless you buy the "Third hand" device that allows locking the bolt back so the drum can be slid in.
    Without the device you need three hands.
    Kahr Arms-Auto Ordnance sell the Third Hand device, but with a little effort you can make one.

DO NOT EVER re-wind the drum magazine after firing part of the load.
    These drums are not like a clock or watch spring. Wind them after a partial load and the spring BREAKS.
    Wind it to the number of clicks listed on the drum and don't wind any more until it's empty.

You can use surplus fore arms, either military horizontal or commercial pistol grip, but you have to open up the mounting slot because the original Thompson used a 1/2 inch wide fore end bar and the newer guns use a 3/4 inch bar.

Barrel removal is usually a real bear....best to not even consider it. The barrel is usually VERY tight and you can't grip the barrel close to the receiver because of the fore end bar is sticking out under the barrel and interferes with getting a good setup in a barrel vise.

Depending on the age, the gun you get may have the original semi-auto large checkered cylinder type cocking handle.
    You can buy a round cocking handle from the company that looks like the original full-auto actuator knob.
    The big handle is easier to use but the round knob looks better.

Accuracy can be astounding, but is often limited because of the crudely adjustable rear sight that can only be adjusted for elevation.
    I installed original Lyman fully adjustable rear sights on mine and could get amazing groups at 100 yards.
    The sight that come with the older guns is a modified version of the M1917 rifle rear sight, and there's no adjustment possible to the front sight. If it's off target there's not much to be done unless you spend some green for a surplus Lyman sight.
    Unless the rear sight base was been changed a Lyman sight is a drop in.

I wouldn't dry fire it too much, the oddball dogleg firing pin can break and that jams the gun so badly it may be impossible to disassemble it and it often has to go back to the company for it to be removed.
    I extracted a couple and both were difficult, one was a real bear,

The action is HEAVY because of the three spring weird action. The action was to satisfy the BATF who were paranoid about anything that even looked like a Thompson gun back then.
    Back then Plainfield wanted to sell an M1 Carbine with an aluminum stock with a cast on front and rear pistol grip and a Thompson M1-A1 walnut buttstock.
    The ATF almost refused to allow it because it looked too much like a Thompson.

When Numrich wanted to make a semi-auto Thompson that used a lot of surplus parts the ATF refused.
    Numrich threatened to take them to court and since there was no law or even regulation the ATF knew they'd loose, but made it clear that the gun had to be impossible to convert to open bolt or full-auto.
    Numrich bragged that they'd spent $100,000 developing a semi-auto Thompson that couldn't be converted to full-auto.
    Within 2 months of being introduced, The Shotgun News was full of ads selling plans on how to convert it to open bolt and/or full-auto.

Stock up on ammo, these things just EAT ammo, and everyone that sees it at the range wants to fire it.
    Last edited by dfariswheel; 02-10-2018 at 09:49 PM.

I have been wanting a Thompson for a while now.
    Every year I get closet to pulling the trigger on a rifle that I just don't need.

I found these guys so if I do get one, they will will be doing some quality modifications to it.

http://www.tommygunner.com/

I despicably like the bolt hold open option they have to create a "third hand" without the use of tools.

BISHOP

i have a bit into my 1928A1 sbr. mines aluminum , savings on weight ain't much. if anyones' gonna whine about that do some push-ups .

The biggest issue these have had in the past few years are improperly heat treated bolts.

Internals for the semi method have been the same for a long time now, and those can be slicked up pretty good.

I did my own barrel swap , went from a 10" smooth to the proper finned barrel with a Cutts compensator on it . I also had it all rigged up in a vise on a milling machine that was secured to the floor using a wrench/5' cheater bar to get the old barrel off. IMHO, I'd just pay someone if I was ever to do it again.

I dont' know my round count now but it eats everything, only stoppages were from a crappy auto-ord factory mag ( imagine that) .
    My BHO pawl spring broke the first time out so I replaced it with an AK disconnector spring, If that breaks - you either have to pull some wizard shit like I did at the range or send it back .

The 50rd drums these clowns make SUCK = sell it and get a taiwanese drum from numrich.

There are registered firing ins for these if you want to play with F/A , but when they pop up they're pushing into WH prices now.
    Last edited by Helen Keller; 02-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!