Thread: Anyone have an opinion on the Famae SG542?

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Anyone have an opinion on the Famae SG542?

I am doing some consolidation of value in my gun collection. I do this every few years when i start to feel buried in. Sell off a bunch of stuff for max profit then take the money and buy something better. freeing up rack space and increasing overall collection value. anyway. Since i ordered the M4, I no longer need the Norinco T97. So i have it listed for sale with my CZ 858 and a few low value hunting rifles. Bubba Lee Enfield etc... When they sell i will have enough to buy something better. So I am kinda pulling toward the Famae SG 542... The only drawback is the price of magazines. They are $100 each. My second option is an actual Springfield M1A. Magazines and parts for that are all over the place in Canada. They are very popular up here especially since our market is flooded with the Norinco knock offs. I will be buying a real one not the chinese copy. Third option is a Tavor TAR-21... you all know what that is. Im all over the place but this is what I do. Anyhow. Anyone know anything about that Famae? Got any opinions? The reason i am choosing something obscure like that is the fact it is non restricted up here. There is no paperwork involved.

Update: the CZ 858 just sold for $1450... makes me think i should have asked more. They are collectable here now after the government banned them and then changed their mind and let us keep them. they have a stigma around them...
    Last edited by rci2950; 02-10-2018 at 08:58 AM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

You can't get one of those here.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You can't get one of those here.
    Hmm makes me want it even more LOL

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I wouldn't have sold either semi-auto but whetever makes you happy.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I wouldn't have sold either semi-auto but whetever makes you happy.
    oh I'm not out of semi autos. the m4 I just bought replaces the need for the norinco and if I buy that 542 then I have made a huge upgrade from the cz...

well i pulled the trigger. Famae SG 542 is on the way. I really like that rifle. I think it is a good upgrade from the VZ58. Should be here late next week. Thanks for the push Sheutz

so my famae is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I will do an unboxing for you guys so you can experience it as well. Also i confirmed with the distributer. The magazines are pinned in accordance with Canadian law to be 5 rounds by a very tiny square block of steel welded inside the magazine. So this is a good un obtrusive way of doing it. Anyway, will keep you posted. Not condoning taking it out. It would be completely illegal to knock it out with drift pin
    Last edited by rci2950; 02-14-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Is this from Chile?

If so you gotta name it Mi General in honor of General Pinochet.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    so my famae is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I will do an unboxing for you guys so you can experience it as well. Also i confirmed with the distributer. The magazines are pinned in accordance with Canadian law to be 5 rounds by a very tiny square block of steel welded inside the magazine. So this is a good un obtrusive way of doing it. Anyway, will keep you posted. Not condoning taking it out. It would be completely illegal to knock it out with drift pin
    Good, I look forward to seeing the photos.