Thread: Feinstein to introduce bill raising minimum age for rifle purchases

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Feinstein to introduce bill raising minimum age for rifle purchases

After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Only adults should be able to buy firearms. makes sense to me.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Not sure how I feel about raising the age to 21? Would it only apply to retail purchases? Will it include all long guns or just "assault weapons? Are we ok with the current law for handguns? If so why not apply it across the board? Perhaps in today's society 18 isn't what it was in our generation with regards to maturity?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Only adults should be able to buy firearms. makes sense to me.
    Bear in mind that the whole 21 / adult thing is arbitrary. I mean what's it based on? Why not 25? Should it also apply to military service/draft, drivers license, voting, etc? How can someone be an adult for one aspect of life but not another?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Not sure how I feel about raising the age to 21? Would it only apply to retail purchases? Will it include all long guns or just "assault weapons? Are we ok with the current law for handguns? If so why not apply it across the board? Perhaps in today's society 18 isn't what it was in our generation with regards to maturity?
    Young people are different these days. They mature in some ways a lot quicker and in others a lot slower. We all had hard but good paying jobs at 18. I was painting government housing. Literally going in the welfare bums homes and painting their living room for them. Then shortly after I started doing that I joined the coast guard and worked as a yard hand. Teens that age now wont work like that. They expect handouts from their parents. On the other hand were seeing younger and younger people maturing sexually. 14 year olds being more experienced then we were at 20. It is a changing world. No I don't think most 18 or even 20 year olds are trust worthy enough to be able to buy any gun at all. I am in the navy now and part of my duties were standing duty watch in the new recruit barracks. Would I trust those 18, 19 and 20 year olds with a firearm? Not a frigging chance. No way. The shit j have seen them do I don't trust them with a car let alone a gun.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

This whole thing is nothing more than another attempt to whittle away the 2nd Amendment.

We're talking about a God-given Right, not just any old law that can be voted away.

Yes, there is a problem with certain people having access to guns, but it's not the 2nd Amendment's fault.

All of the Amendments to the Constitution call for those rights to be exercised with common sense. They are limitations on overreach of government (and politicians).

There are consequences for misusing any of the Amendments. The Liberals don't like consequences, so they push for other ways to circumvent having to deal with consequences. They do this by attacking our liberties.

If the Liberals want to curtail gun violence, then they have to focus on the real roots of the problem and not attack any our Amendments.

Any liberal who tries to limit the 2nd Amendment is guilty of treason.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I am fairly sure that when the second amendment was penned, 14 year olds were just as competent as 30 year olds when it came to handling a firearm.

This is just another feel good infringement on the 2nd. I know people in their thirties that I wouldn't trust buying a firearm, on the other hand my daughter was making many adults look bad at the range and was more mature at the age of 13.

we have this strange thing our society where adulthood from age 18 to 21 is nebulus.
    At 18 you can, enter into a contract, take out a loan, rent an apartment, etc without parental consent, in fact, I don't believe you need parental consent for anything after that.
    you can join the miliarty
    apply to college, get a job, pay taxes etc
    be sentenced for crimes as an adult and go to adult prison
    get married
    consent to sex (varies by state)
    vote

you have to be 21 to buy a handgun, alcohol, tobacco (in this state)

so which is it, are you adult or not between 18 and 21.

In principal I believe that if you treat people like they aren't not responsible enough and take those kinds of opportunities away from them by make decisions for them rather than letting them learn from mistakes you are guaranteeing that they will never be responsible. (this isn't intended to apply to things like murder of course but other areas of adult like decision making and responsibility.

If we are going to treat people under 21 like kids, take their fucking right to vote away too