Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a lead on a SIG 556

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Got a lead on a SIG 556

Someone at my wife's work is wanting to sell a Sig Model 556 rifle. Not sure if it's the Classic or SWAT version but they look pretty sweet with the folding stock and gas system. Any thoughts on either as far as quality and or price?

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...oduct1847.html

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...oduct1417.html
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would love to have either one.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Can't help on price but the 556 has always been on my list of desires if I ever get a few extra dollars.

Check sold auctions on Gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Can't help on price but the 556 has always been on my list of desires if I ever get a few extra dollars.

Check sold auctions on Gunbroker.
    Only found two. One sold for about $1,700 with one bid. The other has an opening bid of $2,400 or something and just keeps being relisted. SIG dropped them in 2017 from what I can tell. From what I've read so far it seems these were, at least in the beginning imported from Switzerland as an upper with the Sig plant here installing a US made lower set up for Stanag mags and an M4 buttstock. Button rifled barrels with tenite coating instead of chrome line with 1:7 twist.

Tests I saw were claiming pretty good accuracy
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They had mixed reputation in the US. At the prices I'm reading in this thread I would get a more modern option first. CZ 805 Bren with one of the newer style braces would be an example. Base model pistol are about $1200.

Galil ACE, Tavor, Beretta ARX, CZ Bren would all be better "not an AR-15" options IMO.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I should probably clarify my "lead" is my wife. She sent me a text today asking if I was interested in a Sig 556 a lady at her work is selling. I told her I might be very interested but to get info on the gun, pics, mags, optics, ammo, etc and a price. Don't know if this is something her ex left when he moved out, she bought it and wants it gone before there is a ban, etc. I'm hoping it's one of those , "I got it in the divorce and need $500 now" situations.

I'm not interested in paying any where near full market value as I'm not really in the market so to speak but for a deal I can be.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

There's a SWAT version on consignment at my LGS for $900-something. Very tempting at that price. If it was the Classic it'd be in my safe already. I don't like the look of the SWAT version.

RS, let us know if you end up getting that rifle!
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

I know a guy that bought one a few years back and since has sold it (money problems) but even though
    the rifle was flawless it seemed "heavy" in the front. 7 lbs 10 oz is what Sig says.

FWIW
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Update:

Seems the rifle is owned by a couple that don't manage their money very well and are therefore in a continuing financial shortfall every month thus they are considering selling some possessions to get some hard cash. This rifle is one of those possessions. The gal is supposed to get my wife some more info but said they bought the Sig around 2009, took it out shooting once and have just had it in the house ever since.

From what I've read Sig started producing these around 2007 so this is an early one. Hoping to get some details by the weekend so I'll update later.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Get it sounds like it is going to be cherry and you can probably get it for a great price if they are hard up.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Get it sounds like it is going to be cherry and you can probably get it for a great price if they are hard up.
    That's what I'm thinking. From what I've read some of the early guns had non-folding. Don't need a folder but it does make it more compact for transport & storage and let's be honest, it's kinda cool too. Unfortunately it looks like parts are scarce and expensive so it's not going to be cheap or easy to upgrade/change features if I don't like something. That being said its the design as well as the possibility of a good deal that's the biggest draw for me.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Yep on the parts issue.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Saw some photos of the rifle. It is identical to the one in the link below including the exact same red dot site. They must have come that way from Sig.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/gun...n_id=100502463

As noted it has the rifle, red dot, two 30rd mags, a forward grip and hard case. Not sure what I may offer? I'm guessing around $1,000 is the going rate.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Yah, that's the early one. I like the Classic line better.

I've got several of the 556's; an early 551 and 552 which are both police trade-in's ... I like them better than an AR in many ways; first and maybe most important, they have very little muzzle rise, its more of a push back. The 55x's are built like tanks ... I've really never heard of anyone needing parts, but there are parts around including new spring sets from someone, Wolf maybe. There are also people on GunBroker parting them out. I bought the Xi lower (the last version) for my 553 and 556 SBR's because they have ambidextrous controls, a solid trigger guard, came with a cheekriser ... and a nice SiG logo on the mag well. This pic is kinda old, I've since colored in the SiG logo to show up better.

Some people complained about how heavy they were but replaced the "fishgill" hand-guards with traditional 55x hand-guard and were then "happy" ... I really think a lot of people were unhappy because when the 556 was released it didn't look exactly like the original 55x rifles. The last generation of the 556 classic was more traditional but then at the very end they put out the 551 A1 which was nearly identical to the original 551 but has a milled lower instead of a stamped lower but it does take the Swiss 55x mags instead of the AR mags like previous 556's
    Last edited by kimberkid; 03-02-2018 at 11:49 AM.

Update: If all goes well I'll pick it up tomorrow, $750 private sale.

It looks just like the rifle in the link below except it also has a fore grip and a C-More type sight.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rifle-review/
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Good deal there. Enjoy it!
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Update: If all goes well I'll pick it up tomorrow, $750 private sale.

It looks just like the rifle in the link below except it also has a fore grip and a C-More type sight.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-rifle-review/
    If it looks just like that one, its an early one and SiG would never confirm what 922r parts were in it, pretty sure the barrel, bolt and carrier are Swiss. Also it's been established that some of the early ones had a bit of cant to the right on the top cover, some as much as 11 degrees. I put a scope on mine so it didn't matter. I still have it and its very accurate, likes both 55 and my 69 grain hand-loads ... its at the back of the safe, I should get it out and shoot it!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Sounds like a great deal, CONGRATS!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Sounds like a great deal, CONGRATS!
    I just realized I left that part out, it IS a great deal!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast