Thread: Got a lead on a SIG 556

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Got a lead on a SIG 556

Someone at my wife's work is wanting to sell a Sig Model 556 rifle. Not sure if it's the Classic or SWAT version but they look pretty sweet with the folding stock and gas system. Any thoughts on either as far as quality and or price?

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...oduct1847.html

https://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_...oduct1417.html
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I would love to have either one.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Can't help on price but the 556 has always been on my list of desires if I ever get a few extra dollars.

Check sold auctions on Gunbroker.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Can't help on price but the 556 has always been on my list of desires if I ever get a few extra dollars.

Check sold auctions on Gunbroker.
    Only found two. One sold for about $1,700 with one bid. The other has an opening bid of $2,400 or something and just keeps being relisted. SIG dropped them in 2017 from what I can tell. From what I've read so far it seems these were, at least in the beginning imported from Switzerland as an upper with the Sig plant here installing a US made lower set up for Stanag mags and an M4 buttstock. Button rifled barrels with tenite coating instead of chrome line with 1:7 twist.

Tests I saw were claiming pretty good accuracy
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They had mixed reputation in the US. At the prices I'm reading in this thread I would get a more modern option first. CZ 805 Bren with one of the newer style braces would be an example. Base model pistol are about $1200.

Galil ACE, Tavor, Beretta ARX, CZ Bren would all be better "not an AR-15" options IMO.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I should probably clarify my "lead" is my wife. She sent me a text today asking if I was interested in a Sig 556 a lady at her work is selling. I told her I might be very interested but to get info on the gun, pics, mags, optics, ammo, etc and a price. Don't know if this is something her ex left when he moved out, she bought it and wants it gone before there is a ban, etc. I'm hoping it's one of those , "I got it in the divorce and need $500 now" situations.

I'm not interested in paying any where near full market value as I'm not really in the market so to speak but for a deal I can be.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068