Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescource Officer stayed outside

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    This is changing again.. I have not looked into this but cnn is saying there were 3
    other cops outside the school and did not enter.....
    Yes I am reading similar things that up to 4 more were outside hiding behind their cruisers guns drawn and didn't go in until 2 officers from another precinct showed up and went in first. Additionally the Sheriff is shown to be a big Hillary Democrat supporter. There's a pic of him with Hildabeast during her campaign.

And back to the police cowering outside ... and the LEFT wants US to give up our guns! HELL NO! This comes down to what I've always said, the Police show up to draw chalk outlines around the bodies and pick up evidence. In all practical aspects .......USELESS!!!!!
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-23-2018 at 07:45 PM.

While it is true that no one knows what they will do until they do it, maybe police forces should try to hire combat vets for these school jobs, i.e., people who have a track record that demonstrates they won't freeze up under fire.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I had lunch with our bro TEN-32 earlier today & we talked about this.

His bottom line was there were kids being murdered nearby while this deputy did nothing to stop it. He failed his oath, his sworn duty, & what is expected of just being a man. If he has any honor left whatsoever he should kill himself.
    And if he doesn't do the honorable thing he should be denied a retirement pension.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I'm not defending his actions. At the very least he should have gone in another entrance and tried to find the killer and take him out. My statement however is 100% correct. As you noted, rushing the guy without a gun didn't work. Rushing the guy with a handgun while he's shooting at you probably won't have worked either. Even in a military situation you try and outflank the enemy if at all possible rather than charge headlong into incoming fire or you use suppressive fire to keep their head down while you advance. A lone cop can't really do that and hope to have any success though I will admit, this guy may have dropped his gun and ran at the first round the cop sent his way.
    There were four Coward County Deputies now that stood outside while he was killing kids....... What defense now? FOUR OF THEM. Coral Springs police came and went right in, and still those deputies stayed outside. 2 other deputies did go in with the Coral Springs Police dept.The political hack Sheriff needs to resign along with those 4.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    There were four Coward County Deputies now that stood outside while he was killing kids....... What defense now? FOUR OF THEM. Coral Springs police came and went right in, and still those deputies stayed outside. 2 other deputies did go in with the Coral Springs Police dept.The political hack Sheriff needs to resign along with those 4.
    I saw that. Unless the department guidelines mandate they wait for SWAT it sure looks like they all chickened out, to put it nicely. I doubt their guidelines require them to wait otherwise they wouldn't have suspended the first officer for not going in.

Pretty sure one report said officers from a nearby town showed up and those four waved them on into the building. Has the first cop done any interviews and given his side of the story or is he just staying out of site? I saw where he lives in a different city and police from that town were guarding his home.

Thought I read that two other officers were on limited duty or something similar because they were the ones who went to the shooters home on most of the calls over the last 7 years or so. I think they are reviewing how those calls were written up and what actions were taken versus what the law requires to be taken.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

If this proves to be true...and it seems to be, there is no excuse. Since 1999 (Columbine) the model was changed from perimeter, containment and swat. The current model is "rapid deployment". Active shooter, lives being lost, you go in with what you have. Ideally its a 4 man diamond pattern trained to move past victims, recon the premises, and eliminate the threat(s). But if its just you and your service pistol, you go. After action reports on these events has shown the overwhelming percentage of these shooters fold at the first sign of armed confrontation. Either eating their own bullet or attempting escape. The odds of successfully ending the carnage even with the disparity of firepower is on the side of the first responders. This failure to engage is inexcusable. The bottom line is that this is where the rubber meets the road. Strip away all the other bullshit and this is really the core mission. To keep people, especially the most innocent and vulnerable, safe. I am angry, heart broken and embarrassed for the profession.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    If this proves to be true...and it seems to be, there is no excuse. Since 1999 (Columbine) the model was changed from perimeter, containment and swat. The current model is "rapid deployment". Active shooter, lives being lost, you go in with what you have. Ideally its a 4 man diamond pattern trained to move past victims, recon the premises, and eliminate the threat(s). But if its just you and your service pistol, you go. After action reports on these events has shown the overwhelming percentage of these shooters fold at the first sign of armed confrontation. Either eating their own bullet or attempting escape. The odds of successfully ending the carnage even with the disparity of firepower is on the side of the first responders. This failure to engage is inexcusable. The bottom line is that this is where the rubber meets the road. Strip away all the other bullshit and this is really the core mission. To keep people, especially the most innocent and vulnerable, safe. I am angry, heart broken and embarrassed for the profession.
    I'm wondering at this point if the political hack sheriff even had his deputies armed with Ar's in their cars? Isn't that almost standard now? The whole thing stinks. My wife and I were discussing this, she would've went in with her 5 shot revolver, and I know in my heart she would've. I know I would be shitting my pants but I would've gone in, and I know for a fact you would've too.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I saw that. Unless the department guidelines mandate they wait for SWAT it sure looks like they all chickened out, to put it nicely. I doubt their guidelines require them to wait otherwise they wouldn't have suspended the first officer for not going in.

Pretty sure one report said officers from a nearby town showed up and those four waved them on into the building. Has the first cop done any interviews and given his side of the story or is he just staying out of site? I saw where he lives in a different city and police from that town were guarding his home.

Thought I read that two other officers were on limited duty or something similar because they were the ones who went to the shooters home on most of the calls over the last 7 years or so. I think they are reviewing how those calls were written up and what actions were taken versus what the law requires to be taken.
    Think he went to ground, how do you defend your actions as a man standing by while you hear children being killed? Amazing he's being protected by multiple armed police officers. I love my Sheriffs department, I hope they are braver and actually take their oath seriously.

In a situation like this, fuck policy, be a man and do the right thing.

We have stupid rules at work, i.e., I am not authorized to use a fire extinguisher, and no one else is either, because we aren't properly trained. In the event of a fire we are supposed to evacuate and call 911. There are fire extinguishers all over the place because its required by law. Well fuck you, if I see a fire start, i.e., in the kitchen, and there is a fire extinguisher right next to me, I am going to fucking put it out. You can kiss my ass and discipline me later, but who is going to be the asshole in that situation.

If a PD has a policy that an officer doesn't respond to an active shooter situation because he is alone, or wait for SWAT or what ever, fuck it, do the right thing, try to stop it. You want to fire him for breaking the rules after the fact because he broke policy? Have fun defending your position.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12