Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescource Officer stayed outside

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thumbs down Rescource Officer stayed outside

Just saw the last few seconds of a report on FNC where the Sheriff where the school shooting took place last week said the armed officer at the school stayed outside during the shooting and was being suspended from the department but had also resigned.

Like I said, just caught the last snippet but sounds like he just stayed outside and did nothing yet unarmed staff inside stepped between the shooter and students and or charged the shooter and died trying. Not unheard of, I mean even soldiers during time of war have been known to freeze or run away but geez, this guy wasnt forced to be a cop.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yellow spined Barney Fife. If he hadn't quite he should of been fired. Had a gun, probably wearing body armor, cowered outside letting people with no arms and therefore no chance to stop the mad-dog killer do his job.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Saw that, too. The Sheriff minced no words about it, either. He said when an active shooter is still shooting, police are supposed to enter and confront the shooter. This man just stayed outside and waited for the shooting to stop. They, even, had all this on surveillance camera (him standing outside a door, not even attempting to go in, while the shooter was still shooting).
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Peterson was armed and in uniform during the shooting, but never entered the building despite "clearly" knowing a shooting was happening, Israel said.

The sheriff said he believes Peterson remained outside of the building for four minutes, while the shooting in total lasted six minutes. Israel said the officer never fired his weapon.

Israel said he's "devastated. Sick to my stomach. There are no words."

When asked about what law enforcement agencies entered the building first, and at what time, Israel said that it "doesn't matter who went in first" or "what order you went in."

"What matters is that when we, in law enforcement, arrive at an active shooter, we go in and address the target," the sheriff said. "And that’s what should’ve been done."

Peterson, according to Israel, should've "went in. Address the killer. Kill the killer."
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/22...riff-says.html

Cowardly POS.

To be fair though, the policy of cops charging in armed with only their pea-shooters (handguns) versus a perp armed with a tactical rifle is a fairly new development.

Even as recently as Sandy Hook, and as clear far back as Columbine, cops waited for several minutes for the SWAT team to arrive before making entry, doing nothing more than "securing the perimeter."

But indeed, even if you don't stand a chance and might have to sacrifice yourself in the process, at least distract the shooter and hopefully wound him or at least cause him to stop massacring innocents and maybe flee the scene.

Unfortunately, not everyone has what it takes to be a "hero" in such high-pressure situations. Some people choke and just aren't up to the job.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

And the braindead libtards want us to turn in our guns and put our trust in the police to protect us!

Yellow bastard probably thought it was gonna be a cushy job with minimal risks and when shit got real he bailed.
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

Not all men are heros. Never forget that. This man will be haunted the rest of his life and also remember that until recently
    everyone held up and waited for swat.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

The Ft. hood shooting was what, 9 years ago and I remember reading how those officers had been trained to run towards the gunfire and engage not wait for SWAT. That being said had the officer in FL rushing head long into a hail of bullets it would have just been another life wasted.

Heard this morning he has decided to not only resign but retire. I haven't seen photos of the officer but I'm wondering if he's an older officer that really is at the end of a long career, one in which he never drew his weapon except at the range. A career made up of low key assignments meant to get him safely to his pension. A career and subsequent mindset that left him not only unwilling but unprepared for what transpired last week.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The Ft. hood shooting was what, 9 years ago and I remember reading how those officers had been trained to run towards the gunfire and engage not wait for SWAT. That being said had the officer in FL rushing head long into a hail of bullets it would have just been another life wasted.

Heard this morning he has decided to not only resign but retire. I haven't seen photos of the officer but I'm wondering if he's an older officer that really is at the end of a long career, one in which he never drew his weapon except at the range. A career made up of low key assignments meant to get him safely to his pension. A career and subsequent mindset that left him not only unwilling but unprepared for what transpired last week.
    WTF was that? Unarmed teachers got killed running to the scene...He never shoulda been there then. How could you possibly defend that deputy not going in, the only armed person on the premises. He stood out there for 4 minutes of a 6 minute shooting spree.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 02-23-2018 at 06:43 AM.

You don't need guns, the cops will protect you.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    WTF was that? Unarmed teachers got killed running to the scene...He never shoulda been there then. How could you possibly defend that deputy not going in, the only armed person on the premises. He stood out there for 4 minutes of a 6 minute shooting spree.
    Dittos to the MAX on this post. There is zero excuse to be made for that yellow coward!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Just saw the last few seconds of a report on FNC where the Sheriff where the school shooting took place last week said the armed officer at the school stayed outside during the shooting and was being suspended from the department but had also resigned.

Like I said, just caught the last snippet but sounds like he just stayed outside and did nothing yet unarmed staff inside stepped between the shooter and students and or charged the shooter and died trying. Not unheard of, I mean even soldiers during time of war have been known to freeze or run away but geez, this guy wasnt forced to be a cop.

Was he a cop, or just a rent-a-cop "security guard"?

Don't know about any of you guys, but I would think twice (and maybe a lot more than twice) before I stepped in front of a 55 grain chunk of lead flying at Mach 3 for what a cop gets paid.

Cops are not here to "protect and serve", they are here to "harass and collect" (also known as "law enforcement").

Cops are really tough when it's 2 or 3 against one old guy with a broken tail light... not so much so when someone ELSE has a gun too.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

While I fault the officer for not going in, I have a hard time actually condemning him. I have never been in that situation, and I hope I am not, but if I am I hope I have the courage to act. Having shown that he does not have the courage, it is time for him to find a new line of work.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

I don't think anyone can say for sure what they would do in that situation until they are in it but I'd like to believe that I would gladly offer up my own life to attempt to stop something like this. Even more so that the victims are children.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Was he a cop, or just a rent-a-cop "security guard"?

Don't know about any of you guys, but I would think twice (and maybe a lot more than twice) before I stepped in front of a 55 grain chunk of lead flying at Mach 3 for what a cop gets paid.

Cops are not here to "protect and serve", they are here to "harass and collect" (also known as "law enforcement").

Cops are really tough when it's 2 or 3 against one old guy with a broken tail light... not so much so when someone ELSE has a gun too.
    He the school resource officer, A deputy of Broward county.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    While I fault the officer for not going in, I have a hard time actually condemning him. I have never been in that situation, and I hope I am not, but if I am I hope I have the courage to act. Having shown that he does not have the courage, it is time for him to find a new line of work.
    Bullshit. I know you would have.

I'm not defending his actions. At the very least he should have gone in another entrance and tried to find the killer and take him out. My statement however is 100% correct. As you noted, rushing the guy without a gun didn't work. Rushing the guy with a handgun while he's shooting at you probably won't have worked either. Even in a military situation you try and outflank the enemy if at all possible rather than charge headlong into incoming fire or you use suppressive fire to keep their head down while you advance. A lone cop can't really do that and hope to have any success though I will admit, this guy may have dropped his gun and ran at the first round the cop sent his way.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Bullshit. I know you would have.
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

This is changing again.. I have not looked into this but cnn is saying there were 3
    other cops outside the school and did not enter.....

be the heat..

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I had lunch with our bro TEN-32 earlier today & we talked about this.

His bottom line was there were kids being murdered nearby while this deputy did nothing to stop it. He failed his oath, his sworn duty, & what is expected of just being a man. If he has any honor left whatsoever he should kill himself.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Did you read the previous post?

be the heat..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast