Thread: Range mags

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Range mags

Been years since I spent much time with my Colt GM but I recently dusted it off and besides getting reacquainted at the range and perhaps a few upgrades I could use a few more mags. I've got the original mag that came with it as well as a surplus or two and several 8rd Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags.

It's not my intention to carry this piece but I'd still like a few more mags load up for range days. It's been years since I bought any so was hoping someone could offer some suggestions? Not looking for Wilson Combat type but something reliable without breaking the bank.

FYI. I bought this Series 80 GM not that long after the Series 80's came out, maybe 1984-85 and the factory mag has been stored loaded, and or loaded in the gun most of the time without issue.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I have found mil-surplus mags to work pretty well for me. A few years ago I was able to get some for about $8 a piece that were still in the original wrapping.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Wilson Combat 47D's are kind of the go to standard for 1911 mags, not sure why you want to avoid them, they are a little spendy tough.

I also like Chip McCormick. I have found their power mags to be very good as well.

You can also get their shooting star classic mags which I have a bunch of and they work well for a little cheaper.

I mentioned Wilson Combat as an example of what I didn't really need for a range mag. Figured there had to be something cheaper but still reliable.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I'd try the shooting star classics, midway has them for $19
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...-8-round-steel

Thank you. I'll check those out. I bought some inexpensive range mags years ago, the are marked like the Colt factory mag except the rampant Colt is missing and the wording on the floor plate is spaced differently. They are 7rd blued steel but the have a rounded follower.

They fit and feed ok but the round follower doesn't lock the slide back when the mag is empty, (kind of good as far as a training/range mag) and they won't insert with the slide forward if fully loaded. I guess the rounded follower uses up the little bit of play there would normally be.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...bTO%2b29xzzx99

That's a link to a sorted page of .45 ACP 7 round magazines. There are consumer ratings. Wislon's are the highest rated, next is Colt and 3rd is Meckgar. Check it out.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Well nuts for some reason the sort to .45 acp 7 round mags only is not taking.

OK here you go Aim Surplus has Mec-Gar for $14.50 for a blued 7 round 1911 mag. 8 round is $17.95 each.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 02-24-2018 at 08:20 PM.

Mags aren't something I'd cheap out on. Crappy mags can turn a good gun into a jam o matic and ruin your shooting experience and confidence in a given firearm. For range mags you only need a couple