Thread: Trump Weighs ‘Red Flag’ Orders to Take Guns Away Quickly

Exclamation Trump Weighs ‘Red Flag’ Orders to Take Guns Away Quickly

The White House is considering the idea of using restraining orders to take firearms away from people considered dangerous as part of its response to last week’s massacre at a Florida high school, two people familiar with the matter said.

Under extreme risk protection orders, which are also known as red flag laws or gun violence restraining orders, firearms can be confiscated from people found to be at risk.

The White House is studying an Indiana version of the law, and is considering other measures as well, according to the people, who requested anonymity to discuss policy deliberations. Four other states also have such laws.

At the White House on Thursday, Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi described to President Donald Trump similar efforts underway in her state to allow law enforcement to seize firearms from someone who is deemed to be a danger to themselves or others.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...curb-shootings
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

I have talked of this before. This is where this gets really dangerous.

PM me your address so I can turn you in.
    Last edited by l921428x; 02-24-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I agree, this is kind of worrisome.

I know we all like to point out how so many of these killers exhibit "warning signs" and "red flags"... and wouldn't it be nice to stop them before they act?

But it's one thing to lock the PERSON up in a secure mental hospital if they are truly unhinged, but just taking away people's guns without due process is rather shaky territory.

Of course, we can TRUST that the police would only do so against "clear and present dangers"... but how long before every estranged ex-wife is reporting on their ex-husband, or sons and daughters reporting their parents because they are getting too "old" or "senile", or a neurotic family member reporting a relative for having "anger control issues" ???

"Slippery slope" is an understatement here...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Don't forget about due process lagc

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Don't forget about due process lagc
    I'm a big believer in due process, believe me.

That's why I'd be very interested to hear what the particulars are, what exact criteria would allow police to seize someone's guns in this fashion?

Also, in the case where someone IS deemed a "danger" -- what process is there to challenge such a finding? How can someone prove they are "rehabilitated" for the purposes of these police actions, so they can go about getting their guns back? Or are they permanently stripped of their RTKABA?

So many questions here...
    Last edited by LAGC; 02-24-2018 at 08:43 PM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Could this report be fake news?

I'm getting so I don't trust ANY news agency and would prefer to wait until things play out to take them seriously.

I know there's a danger with this attitude, but Fake News is so rampant that it's hard to trust any source.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Many of us here have been through a divorce or two. If you have not, be advised that with the current family law and legal climate things get ugly, very ugly -- particularly in cases involving child custody. If you own guns you will be reported as a potential killer, if you have children you are a child abuser, and so forth. Anyone who owns guns and wants to keep them should think long and hard about maintaining a marital status of single. Just sayin...