Post Dems introduce bill banning assault weapons

After today, it's all historical.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

This has been listed as H.R. 5087!

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5087

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

The Dims are striking while the iron is hot and going for something they've wanted to do for a long time now.
    I hope the GOP votes it down.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Wow. It's the 1994 AWB on steroids!

This time, any firearm that has even 1 listed "evil feature" (instead of 2 like before) is banned: pistol grip, forward grip, folding stock, barrel shroud, threaded barrel.

But hey -- at least all the existing "assault weapons" already out there are grandfathered in again. So we'll get to have PRE-BAN and POST-BAN crap again.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

This time, any firearm that has even 1 listed "evil feature" (instead of 2 like before) is banned: pistol grip, forward grip, folding stock, barrel shroud, threaded barrel.

But hey -- at least all the existing "assault weapons" already out there are grandfathered in again. So we'll get to have PRE-BAN and POST-BAN crap again.
    They will only be "grandfathered" if they are re-registered, and that info will be recorded and kept so they can be confiscated later. Another win for the Neo-Communist Party (Dimocrat Party).

Like I said, I hope the GOP votes this down.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    This has been listed as H.R. 5087!

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/hr5087

Steve
    This part is "interesting":

(b) IDENTIFICATION MARKINGS FOR SEMIAUTOMATIC ASSAULT WEAPONS.
    —Section 923(i) of title 18,
    United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following: ‘‘The serial number of any semiautomatic assault
    weapon manufactured after the date of enactment of the Assault Weapons Ban of 2018 shall clearly show
    the date on which the weapon was manufactured or made, legibly and conspicuously engraved or cast on the weapon,
    and such other identification as the Attorney General shall by regulations prescribe.’’.
    Serial numbers do not always show the manufacture date, and some serial numbers cannot even be looked up in a database to determine the manufacture date.

What do these dimwits propose to do about that?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post

The 1994 AWB was found to have no effect by FEDERAL studies, not to mention private studies.

But now a new "law" will work?

Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    They will only be "grandfathered" if they are re-registered, and that info will be recorded and kept so they can be confiscated later. Another win for the Neo-Communist Party (Dimocrat Party).

Like I said, I hope the GOP votes this down.
    Well, if NY and CT are any indication, less than 5 percent of the population will comply.

Thus, the law would create probably over 200 million felons overnight.

Meanwhile the Republicans continue to push concealed carry reciprocity at glacial speed.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    And murder is still illegal and that doesn't seem to stop anything either.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Thought I heard this morning on the radio that the proposed AWB would exempt firearms used for hunting, home protection and recreational use. If so what would be banned as that covers about every use category for a long gun?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Thought I heard this morning on the radio that the proposed AWB would exempt firearms used for hunting, home protection and recreational use. If so what would be banned as that covers about every use category for a long gun?

The only exemption from what I read is grandfathering guns that are registered, i.e., registered for confiscation later. The question is not what will be banned. The question is what will not be banned. BTW, read on Breitbart that Trump is now on board with some Joe Manchin gun control bill. Manchin is looking for Trump support on gun control to get him re-elected in WV. I guess this is what Ted Cruz was trying to tell us with his use of the "New York Values" code phrase. Also per Brietbart Trump has indicated he will not support concealed carry reciprocity. Once again we are back doored by the Republican party.

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

If this bill actually passed.. (it has zero chance of passing) then you guys would have more restrictions then Canada.

On the bright side. The more ridiculous a bill is the less chance it has of passing. It is the ones that are limp and weak you have to look out for.

You guys sure do get worked up over stuff. Remember you have your second amendment and a Supreme court that is just about stacked with conservatives.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    The only exemption from what I read is grandfathering guns that are registered, i.e., registered for confiscation later. The question is not what will be banned. The question is what will not be banned. BTW, read on Breitbart that Trump is now on board with some Joe Manchin gun control bill. Manchin is looking for Trump support on gun control to get him re-elected in WV. I guess this is what Ted Cruz was trying to tell us with his use of the "New York Values" code phrase. Also per Brietbart Trump has indicated he will not support concealed carry reciprocity. Once again we are back doored by the Republican party.
    Might want to check other sources. I watched Trump on TV saying if Republicans tried to tie national reciprocity to some other bill it would be a different story. In no way did I take that to mean he will not support it. Now I know we all carp about congress in general and democrats in particular adding stuff to bills that basically ends up with nothing getting passed. Maybe we are inclined to want to make exceptions when it's something we want but I think we need to stick to what we say we believe in and make congress pass stand alone legislation. Adding stuff into bills is what got us the 86 machine gun ban.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Beware anything the Communist Media Outlets say. Brietbart isn't overly truthful.... Best thing to do is wait and see what happens, rather than get all upset about something the news says....

Relax and be patient. The truth of the matter will come out. Nothing wrong with preparing, though....

Freedom isn't free.

Heard Trump too and it sounded like he wanted the reciprocity separate from other bills. He sounded more like a business board leader trying to make everyone happy while giving nothing. Except bump-stocks being banned by EO. To do that he would have to follow George Bush the First and get bump-stocks defined in the sporting purpose clause of the unconstitutional 1968 Bill of Rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Might want to check other sources. I watched Trump on TV saying if Republicans tried to tie national reciprocity to some other bill it would be a different story. In no way did I take that to mean he will not support it. Now I know we all carp about congress in general and democrats in particular adding stuff to bills that basically ends up with nothing getting passed. Maybe we are inclined to want to make exceptions when it's something we want but I think we need to stick to what we say we believe in and make congress pass stand alone legislation. Adding stuff into bills is what got us the 86 machine gun ban.
    There are several sources that have Trump saying forget due process. Pence tries to correct him and Trump repeats the comment again. This forgetting due process means that if you have a dispute with a neighbor, are involved in a divorce, someone doesn't like you...whatever , and that person makes a complaint the police will come and take your guns. Maybe you will get them back. Maybe not. Maybe you will be asked to provide a purchase receipt for each gun. Maybe you will just be killed when the police kick your door down in the middle of the night based on some anonymous phone call to the police. I cannot support or again vote for a President who says he will ignore due process with respect to confiscating people's firearms.

And no offense intended but your stand alone legislation comment is wrong. We need to do what the other side does and have our representative use whatever legislative tricks they can use, i.e., use the same techniques the liberals use. Why fight fair if you opponent is going to kick you in the balls? Just sayin...
    Last edited by jet3534; 03-01-2018 at 06:30 PM.

How to assure the republicans maintain control of the government, pass a democrat sponsored "assault weapon" ban. The first time republicans won the congress after 40 years of democrat control was right after clinton forced congress to pass his firearm stupidity in 1994. Will they ever learn?

I believe it was Toomey from PA this morning talking about how his bill would require all "commercial sales" to have background checks then went on to clarify that these "commercial sales" we're in fact gun show and Internet sales. Since when is a private sale, whether at a gunshow or initiated online and completed in a parking lie a "commercial sale"?

They are both private sales. Even an Internet sale off some gun board where you send they guy payment and he sends you the gun goes through an FFL for the transfer and even then I'd not call that a "commercial sale". Toomey is trying to pull the wool over folks eyes by counting on their emotion and ignorance.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    How to assure the republicans maintain control of the government, pass a democrat sponsored "assault weapon" ban. The first time republicans won the congress after 40 years of democrat control was right after clinton forced congress to pass his firearm stupidity in 1994. Will they ever learn?
    I don't think so. I think it was because Clinton was shown to be a pervert, sexual predator, and liar ("I never had sex with that girl....") that most people blamed the Dims for his actions.

Like Hitlary, Bill cost the Dims the next election all by himself.

Freedom isn't free.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast